Certified Surgical Tech- St Mary`s
Job Description and Essential Functions
Job Title/Position: Certified Surgical Technologist to Certified First Assistant / Orthopedics and Podiatry
Job Classification: Direct Patient Care / Hands-On Patient Care
Date of Analysis: 6/12/2013 Date of Revision/Review: 03/16/2021
Brief Description of Job Responsibilities:
The Certified First Assistant will possess mastery of a broad range of skills related to surgical procedures, technical functions; aseptic technique and patient care that will help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
- Verify availability of surgical equipment and supplies. (e.g., reserve equipment, implants to surgeon`s preference)
- Make available diagnostic studies for reference on monitors or on paper hard copies
- Prepare operating room environment according to surgical procedure and surgeon preference. (e.g. temperature, lights, humidity, suction, bovie)
- Assist with the transfer patient to operating table
- Coordinate and participate in patient positioning, proper padding, application of tourniquets, insertions of urinary catheters
- Superior knowledge of positioning aids and equipment (e.g. fracture tables, head and body stabilizers, radiology compatible equipment)
- Prepare skin for surgery (e.g., hair removal, skin prep)
- Verify Identity of patient and operative site (time out)
- Remove casts, splints, braces, traction and similar devices
- Accommodate for specific patient needs
- Coordinate and participate in patient draping for specific operative sites and exposure
- Respond to Anesthesia and circulating nurses concerns in care of the patientPeri-operative:
- Provide assistance to the surgical team in the assessment and care of the patient
- Facilitate the efficiency of the surgical procedure
- Operate specialty equipment during surgery
- Monitor and maintain sterile technique throughout the procedure
- Monitor that supplies and surgical instruments are satisfactory
- Perform designated action during an emergency (e.g., CPR)
- Irrigate, suction and sponge operative site
- Place and secure retractors without direction
- Clamp, tie, or cauterize vessels
- Suture tissue layers according to physician preference and direction
- Insert, position, and secure drains, catheters, and tubing
- Apply skin staples, sutures, or other wound closures
- Prepare and apply sterile dressings, and apply splints, braces, arm slings and immobilizers and similar devices casts, braces, and similar devices
- Evaluate patient post-operatively and document findings (e.g., skin integrity)
- Coordinate transfer of patient to post-op bed to ensure procedure integrity
- Receive, relay and authenticate written or verbal physician orders to surgical staff (excluding medication orders)
- Coordinate efforts with the surgical staff to keep physician schedule running smoothly and on timeAdditional Duties:
- Revise and update surgeons computerized preference cards
- Utilize computer technology for: radiology studies, implant templating, electronic medical record.
- Recognize safety and environmental hazards(e.g. Fire, chemical spill, laser smoke)
- Trouble shoot equipment malfunctions. (Report malfunctions, take equipment out of service.
- Apply universal precautions during all surgical procedures
- Serve as a technical support expert to surgeon and surgical team
- Function as preceptor, mentor for orientees, students, and co-workers (e.g. new procedures, physician preferences, new equipment and instrumentation.
- Apply ethical and legal practices related to surgical patient care. Understand the importance of cultural diversity
- Operate sterilization devices (Steam sterilization, Steris, Sterad Gas sterilization)
- Work with Surgical Sales Representatives to keep abreast of new instruments and techniques
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technician Program. Current certification as a Certified Surgical Technician and a Certified First Assistant.
- Must have minimum of two years of experience and 350 cases documented as a First Assistant.
- Within a reasonable timeframe of employment work toward a CST and CFA status.
- CPR certification every two years
- Maintain CST/CFA status with 80 hours of continuing education credits every 4 years.
- Other duties as assigned within scope of practiceTypical Physical Demands / Working Conditions
Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients. May include upwards of 75 pounds. Superior manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires corrected vision to 20/30 and hearing to normal range. Frequent standing or walking or other means of mobility for extended periods of time. Requires frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United State and to complete the required employment eligibility document form upon hire. Prevea participates in E-verify. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Certified Surgical Tech-SURTEC
How to Apply:
We have over 1200 reasons for you to consider a career with Prevea Health--they're our employees. We're an organization that values teamwork and provides continuous education, training and support so every member of the team contributes to our success. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package in an environment geared to professional and personal growth. No matter what your background or professional interests are, we think you'll like what we have to offer. Together we are the best place to get care and the best place to give care.
To Apply, please click on the button below and put 20-317 in the "What" box then select "Search For Jobs"
Prevea Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.