1201 Main Street
Oconto, WI 54153
JOB TITLE: Homeless Prevention Specialist
WORKSITE: Oconto, Wisconsin
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Provide case management services to clients of the Emergency Solutions Grant Homeless Prevention program within Newcap’s jurisdiction.
- Must have analytical skills and abilities.
- Must have a high degree of computer operation skills.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Must possess a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must possess the ability to maintain accountability and work independently.
- Must have a high degree of dependability, organizational skills, and display high level of integrity and ethical standards.
- Must have the ability to exercise independent judgement.
- Must have the ability to follow instructions.
- Must have the ability to foster teamwork within the department and organization.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Attend workshops, in-service training, conferences and meetings as assigned.
- Comply with all agency policies and procedures.
- Responsible for attending Housing Department staff meetings and agency wide meetings.
- Accept other duties as assigned.
- Ambassador for Newcap, Inc., along with all employees and responsible for marketing/promoting the organization and its program both internally and externally.
- Sensitive to people’s needs and demonstrate high level of tolerance to impatient clients.
- Show respect and treat all people with dignity.
- Answer and respond to client and landlord phone calls, emails, and faxes within 48 hours. Maintain a non-judgmental attitude when speaking with inquirers.
- Set up and maintain entries into CAPTAIN Database and in the HMIS database in a timely manner and ensure accuracy.
- Provide referrals to the appropriate resources.
- Evaluate applicant eligibility for housing assistance programs.
- Explain housing programs to applicants.
- Evaluate/verify applications for accuracy.
- Mail application packets to clients after initial eligibility is completed within 24 hours.
- Conduct interactive interviews and assessments with applicants.
- Maintain knowledge of Newcap programs and other service agency programs. Make referrals to Crisis Navigator.
- Must be able to obtain VI-SPDAT certificate and complete all training required.
- Implementation and oversight of landlord relationships; networking with landlords, and providing landlord mediations services.
- Consult with legal services staff regarding actions to prevent evictions. Negotiate with clients experiencing conflict to find compromise solutions to domestic problems.
- Provide assistance with finding and retaining housing, housing based education and linkages to appropriate related resources.
- Work with clients to develop, implement and monitor an individualized opportunity plan, ensuring clients’ ability to retain housing.
- Review past housing history and identify possible barriers to obtaining and retaining housing.
- Prepare and maintain case management records, documentation, and up-to-date files of clients’ provide statistical information for reports.
- High school diploma or GED with experience in human services or housing subsidy program.
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs and the overall use of computers and general office equipment.
- Must possess or be able to obtain within thirty (30) days of hire, a valid and appropriate state driver’s license along with access to a reliable car, with proof of insurance, and meeting the driving record requirements that Newcap follows for all employees who drive company vehicles.
OTHER DUTIES: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the on line application at the link below. (Note: please scroll down the career page to find the application.)
Newcap, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer