JOB TITLE: Hauling Operations Manager
LOCATION: Choose an item.
FLSA EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
REPORTS TO: President
DIRECT REPORTS: Residential, Commercial, Roll Off Supervisors
POSITION SUMMARY: The Hauling Operations Manager has primary responsibility for providing strong leadership, coordination, supervision, planning, training, and logistical support. The role will determine appropriate staffing levels required to meet seasonal demands, monitoring metrics, and measuring team performance to exceed performance goals.
A TYPICAL DAY: This is not just a job; this is a dedicated team determined to provide exceptional waste collection service. We believe in making a difference every hour, every day. Our positive energy and time are invested for the purpose of a cleaner future for our county, next generation, and a greener environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead, coach, mentor, and challenge staff. Champion continuous improvement, including devising new strategies and new opportunities. Lead staff development initiatives that include career progression, inclusivity, fairness, training, development, and succession planning.
- Responsible for efficient utilization of fleet, overseeing day to day operations, route audits, efficiency metrics, and ensuring city, county service performance agreements.
- Partners with the Driver Trainer to ensure safety and compliance. Establishes a pipeline of new Drivers and Co-Drivers to retain a diverse workforce.
- Ensures thorough root cause investigations for all incidents/injuries, partners with the EH&S Manager to follow up with needed training, discipline, retraining, and reporting.
- Provides input into termination, compensation, bonus eligibility and promotion decisions. Motivate & demonstrate how to thrive.
- Conducts monthly or bi-monthly route observations to confirm compliance with high standards of customer satisfaction, efficient use of vehicles and in compliance with contracts.
- Partners with Fleet Maintenance Manager to ensure daily operation plans utilizing equipment.
- Establish performance expectations and standards for all levels of employees to achieve or exceed performance metrics and prepare them for the future.
- Formulates both goals and action plans. Ensure work efficiency goals are met.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, development, and performance management of personnel in accordance with established Company policies, procedures and practices.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Provide strong Level 5 leadership and direction for the efficient operations. Oversees staffing needs of the department including selecting, coaching, disciplining, and training employees and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Doing Good (i.e. Code of Conduct).
- Making Good (i.e. Accountability, responsibility and ownership for a problem).
- Treating People Well (i.e. Works cooperatively and effectively with others).
- Environmentally Focused (i.e. Employee takes initiative as a LEED building initiative to preserve and improve our local environment for future generations).
- Observant: (i.e. Employee can identify safety or operational deficiencys and to quickly implement a correction).
- Safety Matters: Employee actively participates and promotes a safe and healthy workplace.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES: Strong-willed yet humble, Problem Solving Skills, Decision Making Skills Critical Thinking/Decision Making, People/Team Management, Data Driven
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE:
- 15 years related experience leading functions.
- Understands budgeting concepts and can gather and assemble information to make reports/proposals.
- Awareness and ability to understand/interpret federal, state, and local transportation policies, procedures and rules and regulations (including OSHA).
- Tech savvy: expertise with applications and technology such as Softpak, Dossier, and proficiency with computer programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).
- Ability to successfully lead and manage teams.
- Ability to provide clear expectations and support employee growth and development.
- Ability to listen to employees and integrate their knowledge and experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to convey complex technical information in engaging and easy to understand way.
- Strong analytical skills to plan, monitor, analyze and report on budgets and programmatic needs and accomplishments.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a multi-cultural workforce serving a diverse customer base.
- Help make this a fun place to work.
- Perform all other duties as assigned in a professional and efficient manner.
- Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
- Supports the MarBorg Mission.
EDUCATION: Bachelors degree or equivalent or related field or of additional relevant experience.
Position requires excellent verbal and writes English communication skills including ability to read, comprehend, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public. Basic Spanish communication skills desired.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance for long periods of time on concrete floors; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.
We are a drug free & alcohol-free work environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, or airborne particles, and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and dirty. Required to put on protective outfits, like gloves, safety footwear, and hardhat.