Balchem Corporation develops, manufactures and markets specialty ingredients that improve and enhance the health and well-being of life on the planet, providing state-of-the-art solutions and the finest quality products for a range of industries worldwide. Our corporate headquarters is in New Hampton, New York, (Hudson Valley area) and we have a broad network of sales offices, manufacturing sites, and R&D centers, primarily located in the US and Europe. Founded in 1967, Balchem is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ BCPC) with annual revenues over $640 million and a market cap exceeding $3.0 billion. The company consists of three business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition & Health; and Specialty Products. Balchem employs over 1,400 people worldwide who are engaged in diverse activities, committed to developing the company into global market leadership positions. To learn more about our dynamic, stable and growing company, visit www.balchem.com
The Quality Assurance (QA) Technician supports manufacturing operations through carrying out activities to verify compliance with the site Quality Management System (QMS), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Product Specifications. They work with the cross-functional site team to meet or exceed the personnel safety, food safety, and food quality goals of the company. This position exemplifies a positive culture that encourages continuous improvement and collaboration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performing daily tasks such as monitoring employee documentation, reporting of quality issues, verifying Critical Control Points, checking weights, calibrating scales, probes, thermometers, moisture analyzers, and other lab equipment, etc.
- Ensuring employee compliance with allergen procedures, GMP's, SSOP's and Food Safety Plan (HAACP)
- Assisting in the performance of weekly environmental swabs and monthly plant, glass, brittle plastic, and ceramic inspections
- Conducting Pre-Operational activities
- Testing and evaluating raw material and finished product
- Writing HOLD tags and assigning and/or assisting with the disposition of product
- Reviewing finished production folders as part of the positive release program
- Must maintain department safety rules compliance and be a positive safety role model.
- Responsible for ensuring an organized, clean and safe work environment.
- Follow all Food safety practices and processes applicable to the department.
- Execute what is required by the company QMS.
- Monitor and maintain all food safety activities as part of daily tasks.
- Enforce food safety plan while producing product.
- Promote food safety and quality to all departments
- Support and assist the manufacturing teams to meet customer and product quality performance requirements.
- Implement department Quality Management Systems (QMS) requirements. Strive to promote a world-class Quality organization.
- Effectively represent the quality team and QA issues to all internal and external customers in a timely manner.
- Communicate non-conformances and lead root cause analysis investigations followed up by corrective action
- Clear sense of urgency and ability to manage priorities to meet immediate needs and long-term goals.
- Ability to manage time and workload efficiently, and the ability to prioritize and modify priorities accordingly
- Strong safety, food-safety, and quality orientation and ability to promote these standards in a cross-functional environment.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently. Ability and willingness to provide support and training to employees on all shifts.
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide QA centered solutions in a cross-functional team environment and to lead a CAPA process.
- Demonstrated ability to work and develop others in a team environment
- Sensitive to other cultures/backgrounds, able to work in a multi-cultural workplace
- Ability and willingness to learn, practice, and improve documented work procedures
- Demonstrated ability to function in a fast-paced environment
- Verbal and written communication skills sufficient to discuss, develop, and implement plans.
- High sensitivity to quality and on time delivery of materials and services
- Must be 18 years or older
- Knowledge of food manufacturing operations and equipment.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Outlook, and Word
- Able to perform basic mathematical equations
- Ability to adapt in a team and/or individual setting to allow achievement of company goals
- Established communication, problem solving, and attention to detail skills
- Demonstrates punctuality and dependably in all aspects of work Ability to lift 50 lbs. and required to stand, walk, sit and reach with hands and arms.
- Familiarity with SQF, FDA (FSMA), HACCP and other regulatory and industry guidelines and requirements
- PCQI and HACCP certified desired
- 12-hour evening shift: Rotating evenings (7 shifts per pay period) 6:00 pm - 6:30 am
Shift Differentials (see our other postings for current position availability):
- Day shift positions: $0 shift differential
- Second shift positions: $1.25/hr. shift differential
- Third shift positions: $1.50/hr. shift differential
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Limited Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Account
- Savings Incentive Match Plan (401k)
- Paid Time Off Accruals
- Holiday Pay