JOB TITLE: Quality Sanitation Technician
FLSA STATUS: Hourly/Non-Exempt
STATUS: Full Time
BUSINESS SEGMENT: Human Nutrition & Health
REPORTS TO: Quality Supervisor
DATE UPDATED: 05/12/2020
HOURS: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30am - 1:30pm
Balchem Corporation develops, manufactures and markets specialty ingredients that improve and enhance the health and well-being of life on the planet, providing state-of-the-art solutions and the finest quality products for a range of industries worldwide. Our corporate headquarters is located in New Hampton, New York, (Hudson Valley area) and we have a broad network of sales offices, manufacturing sites, and R&D centers, primarily located in the US and Europe. Founded in 1967, Balchem is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ BCPC) with annual revenues over $640 million and a market cap exceeding $3.0 billion. The company consists of three business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition & Health; and Specialty Products. Balchem employs over 1,400 people worldwide who are engaged in diverse activities, committed to developing the company into global market leadership positions. To learn more about our dynamic, stable and growing company, visit www.balchem.com
Purpose and Scope:
The incumbent is a working technician who performs and monitors the day to day quality sanitation activities in order to ensure achievement of the quality and performance targets for the factory. The Quality Sanitation Technician provides the technical expertise and leadership necessary to establish and maintain sanitary procedures for the manufacture of safe quality food at the assigned facility.
- Responsible for performing all job requirements in a safe manner using the proper PPE and being a proactive safety role model with co-workers.
- Responsible for correcting/reporting unsafe behaviors or equipment to ensure a safe working environment.
- Responsible for cleanliness within the work department.
- Perform Safety Audits
- Complete and maintain all safety training.
Quality/Food Safety Expectations:
- Follow all Food safety practices and processes applicable to the department.
- Perform/execute job duties keeping the company's commitment to quality in mind.
- Monitor and maintain all food safety activities as part of daily tasks.
- Understand, comply with and enforce GMPs throughout the facility.
- Follow Quality Master Sanitation Schedule (MSS) and complete tasks on schedule.
- Understand and use cleaning chemicals according to their labels
- Accurately file all paper documentation of MSS and SSOPs according to approved procedures.
- Obtain a forklift certification.
- Foster a work environment that promotes efficiency within the department.
- Inventory, purchase & order supplies as needed. Support and maintain Kanban card system.
- Cross train in related functions and assist others in obtaining cross-functional capabilities. Coach and train new team members and temporary employees.
- Lead others in maintaining good housekeeping and an orderly work area.
- Document and monitor procedures and processes to eliminate variation and promote sharing of knowledge.
- Interact and function effectively in a high-performance team environment.
- Initiate and support continuous improvement and elimination of waste and variation in processes using established improvement processes.
- Must develop cooperative relationships with other departments
- All other duties as necessary to the success of Balchem.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED Required.
- 1-4 years related experience preferred.
- Knowledge of food GMP's a plus
- Basic Computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook & ERP)
- Knowledge of SQF a plus
- Strong creative and critical thinking skills while keeping a positive customer oriented and driven attitude.
- Ability and willingness to lead and motivate others with positive, effective communication, including coaching other team members to follow work instructions, achieve standards and team goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively while performing detail orientated work in a cross trained team environment.
- Sensitive to other cultures/backgrounds, able to work in a multi-cultural workplace.
- Ability and willingness to learn, understand, and follow documented work procedures
- Demonstrated ability to function in a fast-paced environment while moving multiple simultaneous projects forward
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Please see HR for specific lifting, pushing and pulling thresholds for this position.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, ascend and descend stairs and/or ladders. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may consistently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds+. Vision requirements include close vision, depth perception, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job is performed in a production environment in a manufacturing location. The noise level in the plant is moderate to loud. There will be exposure to machine noise and food dust when in the plant. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and with or around various chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to vibration and risk of electric shock. Production environment includes varying temperatures (heat, cold and moisture). While performing certain job duties, employees may be exposed to allergens of the industry such as eggs, wheat, peanuts, dairy products, tree nuts, and soy products, as well as latex and powders.
Notes: Management retains the discretion to add or change duties of the position at any time. The incumbent is required to be thoroughly familiar with the company's Equal Employment Opportunity policy and to know and adhere to the company's Harassment policies to prevent discriminatory action because of race, color, sex, age, handicap, religion or national origin