Location: San Franciso, CA Category: Staff Positions Posted On: Tue Mar 9 2021 Job Description:
The California Institute of Integral Studies is seeking an experienced accessibility professional for a newly created Director of Accessibility & Accommodation Services position. The Director is responsible for interpretation and application of the regulations of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, CA state law, and University policies and provisions for accommodation of CIIS students, employees, and public attendees.
The Director will assess the accessibility landscape at CIIS and lead in developing an accessibility strategic plan. These initiatives will improve efficiencies, promote overall institutional effectiveness, and foster an inclusive, person-centered, and equitable environment across the institute. The Director will also manage and implement reasonable accommodations and services for students, employees, and public attendees.
The Director will collaborate closely with other offices, including Admissions, Human Resources, Library, Marketing & Communications, Office of Diversity & Inclusion, Online Learning, Operations & Facilities, Provost's Office, Public Programs, and Student Affairs.
The Director has the option of working a flexible hybrid schedule, with the requirement of on-site work as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership & General Duties
- Provide leadership, coordination, implementation, and administration of accessibility and accommodation services for students, employees, and the public.
- In collaboration with campus partners, develop an accessibility strategic plan that promotes an inclusionary vision and the implementation of universal design as a framework.
- Develop and standardize processes to continuously monitor and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of accessibility programs, service delivery methods, and procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of changing practices and legislation in the field of accessibility/disability services.
- Hire and project-manage contractors, vendors, and student workers.
- Develop ongoing workshops and training for the CIIS community to promote accessibility inclusion and community awareness, and to facilitate an understanding of CIIS accessibility policies and procedures. Develop a repository of ongoing information and resources for the CIIS community to access.
- Assess assistive-technology and adaptive equipment needs for the whole university and collaborate with IT and Online Learning for support and implementation.
- Ensure compliance with online accessibility and accommodation, including CIIS websites, social media, application and registration portals, online learning and event platforms, employee self-service sites, and more.
- Partner with Operations & Facilities to assess and address physical space needs (including classrooms, workspaces, health & counseling clinics, public and community gathering spaces), including prioritizing and implementing needed upgrades.
- Develop and update Accessibility & Accommodation Handbooks, websites, forms, and processes.
- Possess knowledge and familiarity with CIIS systems, including Ellucian Colleague, self-service functions, and more.
- Serve on campus committees and workgroups as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Oversight & Management of Accommodations Processes
- Direct and implement reasonable accommodations and services for individuals with disabilities (students, employees, and public attendees) under the mandates of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Review all verbal and written requests for accessibility accommodations and assess documentation of disability, including psychological, medical, academic, and educational assessments; recommend reasonable accommodations. Maintain database of all student, employee, and public attendee requests and approved accommodations. Ensure confidentiality of accessibility information, including medical records.
- Track, support, and when appropriate, case manage individuals with approved accessibility accommodations, helping individuals to advocate for themselves and articulate their unique accommodation needs.
- Coordinate and implement the provision of reasonable accommodations.
- Provide information to prospective students, employees, and public attendees regarding CIIS's accessibility and accommodations processes.
- Ensure employee physical workspace is compliant with the law, including ergonomics, lighting, visual requirements, and computer needs.
- Strong working knowledge of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990; the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2009; the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other federal and state laws pertaining to higher education and disability.
- 5+ years related work experience.
- Degree from an accredited university; MA or MS degree preferred in Psychology, Higher Education Administration, Human Resources Management, Rehabilitation Counseling, Special Education, or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and interact effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the public from a broad range of programs and disciplines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated understanding of current assistive technologies.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and ability to master student information system, other University administrative systems, Adobe Acrobat OCR, and scanning production.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
NOTES TO CANDIDATE
Background Check -- Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver's license.
Visa Sponsorship -- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Relocation Assistance -- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Every applicant will be considered regardless of race, color, ethnicity, creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. All qualified persons legally authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations for people with disabilities will be provided on request.