JOB TITLE: General Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations | Operations Executive | Corporate Leadership
DIRECT REPORTS: Assistant General Manager, Bar Manager (where applicable), Kitchen Manager, and all store level staff.
- Competitive wage in alignment with established compensation metrics for the position and comparable to market trends
- 10 Days Paid Vacation (80 hours) accrued by pay period during first year of employment. Available for use in year 2.
- Sick Leave (earned according to local/state/federal mandates by location)
- Medical Insurance (Paid 50% by the company after 60-day collaboration period)
- 100% Paid Dental Insurance
- 100% Paid Vision Insurance
- 100% Paid Off-The-Job Accident Insurance
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Commuter Benefits
- Free Shift Meal and discounted meals at all corporate-owned restaurants
KEY AREAS OF PERFORMANCE
- Fast-Casual Service and Production Operations
- HR & Labor Compliance in daily operations
- Accounting and Purchasing
- IT (minimal Point of Sale, Computer, operations knowledge)
- Public Relations
- Financial Reporting (Payroll/Labor/COGs/Managing a budget/P&L)
- Office/Admin/Payroll Support
- Special Events
- Supervises all Service and Production Staff for restaurant locations under the company brand/structure within a defined region or specific location.
- Three to five years supervisory/management experience in the restaurant, hospitality, or retail industry preferred with $5MM or more in sales
- Demonstrated success in financial management and people development
- Knowledge of OSHA and EEOC regulations, restaurant/food safety procedures, federal and state employment laws, on-boarding and employee exit requirements
- Must have computer and Point of Sale (POS) skills with a proficiency in Word, Excel, and the ability to navigate through the Internet and various software platforms used by the company
- Ability to successfully perform all job duties of all service positions in the restaurant
- Ability to work a minimum of 55 hours a week if business demand requires it
- Food Safety Manager certification required
- Strong organizational skills with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language
- Possesses basic math skill (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
- Places a value on diversity, community, and shows respect for others
- Proven ability to problem solve and handle high stress situations
- Ability to interpret financial statements and understand contributing factors
- Must be prepared to multitask in accordance with the demands of the business
- Ability to identify and anticipate opportunities and implement corrective action steps
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings
- Position will be required to participate in restaurant operations (prolonged periods of standing, walking and/or assist with food production or service, ability to lift/carry heavy items, and provide exceptional service to guests) during critical operational demands.
- The environment within the restaurant may be subject to extreme heat and wet, slippery floors, particularly in the food production area. Care must be exercised to wear appropriate attire such as skid resistant shoes.
The job description below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or tasks which may be required to be performed in this position.
The company may amend, change, or modify the responsibilities and duties of this position to meet business needs as necessary.
This job description does not constitute a contract for employment and may be changed at the discretion of the company Leadership with or without notice.
100% Fiscally responsible for the overall performance of Operations in the Restaurant assigned. The General Manager is responsible for increasing sales and profits through financial management and leadership practice. This high-level manager role provides leadership, direction, and support to the store team with the overall goal of ensuring the effective operation and success of the restaurant or group of restaurants within the defined region. The General Manager consistently demonstrates, as well as enforces, company policies, practices, and procedures.
Sales and Profits
- Develops and implements creative and targeted sales-building strategies with the Corporate Office to ensure optimal sales and earnings
- Assists in the annual preparation of sales projections, expense budgets, and capital expenditure budgets
- Meets or exceeds budgeted sales in the Area.
- Maximizes profits and Area by controlling expenses within established budget guidelines
- Identifies, evaluates and responds appropriately to labor efficiency problems
- Monitors restaurant management and employee schedules
- Assists restaurant leaders in identifying sales growth opportunities in restaurant merchandising and local restaurant marketing ideas
- Executes and follows up on the financial results on a period basis
- Executes and is accountable for all controllable financial results on a period basis according to plan
Operations and Quality Standards
- Ensure all restaurants meet or exceed the companys Operations and Quality Standards
- Performs visitations at other Bay Area restaurants on a frequent basis to ensure uniform service strengths and developmental opportunities as they relate to quality standards. Provides a summary of visitations to company leaders on an ongoing basis.
- Completes and maintains an accurate assessment report for the restaurant on an ongoing basis, including but not limited to labor reports, COGs, Revenue Analysis, Open Projects, etc.
- Develops and implements action plans to rectify negative assessments
- Ensures professional restaurant and consistent team image through rigid adherence to restaurant cleanliness, uniforms, and appearance standards
- Follows and enforces compliance with all brand and company standards, company policies and procedures
- Creates and maintains schedule for all staff according to business demand
- Provides coverage when necessary
- Constant interaction with Culinary/Bar Leaders, AGMs, and all Corporate Leadership on all menu offerings/changes/pricing. This includes coordination with Catering/Events in producing and maintaining catering/events offerings
Hospitality, Culture, and Community Involvement
- Responds immediately to all customer issues to ensure guest satisfaction has been achieved
- Checks with service staff daily to monitor employee and guest satisfaction, interaction, and engagement for their area
- Monitors progress of the Assistant General Managers ability to invoke positive change among their team
- Responsible for providing direction to the AGM and all staff with regards to achieving the standard that is established in the company values
- Understands and is capable of telling the story of the restaurant, how it was started, what it means and how it relates to communities in which our restaurants are located
- Identifies opportunities for partnerships with local organizations
- Promotes corporate citizenship and social responsibility
Franchise Operations Standards
- Must be fully certified in Franchise Training Standards/Franchise Training Program within 60 days of assuming this role.
- Must be able and willing to travel, as needed, both locally and nationally to assist in Franchise Training requirements and/or be willing and able to support Franchise Training in your restaurant.
- Support Franchise Training and New Restaurant Openings by ensuring excellence in the kitchen.
- Must be confident in understanding, using, and deploying the Learning Management Platforms as assigned by the Corporate Team.
Recruiting and Retention
- Responsible for staffing, training, retention and turnover of staff
- Maintains staffing according to budgeted levels
- Forecasts staffing needs with HR and Corporate Operations Leader
- Works collaboratively with HR to create and maintain plans for developing internal candidates for promotion
- Conducts interviews with AGM for store level staffing
- Collaborates with HR to conduct exit interview process with all management that leave the company
- Conducts training for managers, Franchise Operators, and service staff on all operational processes and procedures; conducts training on new products and refresher training as necessary
- Trains team in changes in company policy or procedures
- Helps in identifying potential problems and develop solutions
- Works with HR to train in use of performance development tools
- Ensures proper training of Trainees and monitors effectiveness of training programs
- Must identify and develop one future leader each quarter by cross-training into a new and/or leadership capacity. Every 90-days, someone should be getting promoted within your restaurant.
- Develops managerial and leadership abilities of restaurant staff with HR
- Reinforces the companys Core Values consistently
- Conducts meetings with restaurant team on a regular basis
- Conducts performance development reviews on service staff and collaborates with HR on the staff members individual development plans (IDP).
- Provides coaching and feedback on an on-going basis
- Demonstrates positive workplace practices according to the companys values
- Accurately and consistently documents performance appropriately
- Responsible for following the approved termination process as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Uses consistent practices in managing performance problems
- Conducts investigations as required for cash, harassment or any unfair employment practice complaints. Requests assistance from HR as needed for advice
- Coaches staff for improved performance
- Identifies, evaluates and responds appropriately to labor efficiency problems
- Works with other service and culinary management leaders to define potential issues/problems and assist the corporate restaurant team in building solutions
Policies and Procedures
- Ensures compliance on procedure outlined in all company reference manuals
- Ensures compliance on company cash control, and safety and security policy
- Monitors Internal Audit Controls within each restaurant on a frequent basis
- Ensures accidents and incidents are reported to HR in a timely manner
- Monitors procedures for resolving Health Department violations promptly
- Helps to monitor employee files and payroll records in accordance with company guidelines
- Monitors compliance with all Equal Employment Opportunity and labor laws (state/federal)
- Ensures compliance with HR/Financial Audits
- Ensures that proper I-9 identification and required information is in compliance during on-boarding
- Completes all required financial reports accurately
- Completes all timecard edits and completes DAILY logs of operational summaries. Scans all proper forms, including timecard edit forms to HR upon completion DAILY.
- Responds to weekly and period P& L statement and take corrective action as necessary
- Reviews all other company generated reports to ensure that proper control and performance is being maintained
- Researches and processes invoices in a timely manner in PlateIQ (All invoices MUST be in and approved by Wednesday weekly)
- Reports weekly numbers to leadership in a timely manner
- Provides and maintains monthly calendars of events, meetings, and store requirements
- Completes expense reports on a period bases
- Ensures the store complete cash audits, deposits, and End of Day Reports nightly
- Processes Payroll data in a timely manner by making sure all pay period data is accurate and submitted by the end of business on MONDAY of a pay week
- Checks e-mail and Glip 3 times per day and responds to ALL inquiries appropriately. Once at the beginning of your shift, once in the middle of your shift, and once prior to leaving.
Summary of Essential Responsibilities
- Actively participates and encourages teams involvement in Brand sponsored activities
- Willingly assists others without being asked
- Prepares and interprets financial and operational reports and schedules, analyzes data and develops solutions to ensure operating goals are achieved
- Achieves controllable profit and flow thru goals by overseeing all controllable costs and taking the appropriate corrective action to achieve the desired result
- Ensures timely implementation, training and ongoing execution of all company initiatives and marketing promotions
- Develops employees through training programs, individual development plans and assignments; provides coaching and constructive feedback to employees as needed
- Ensures all equipment and facilities are in compliance with Brand Standards and all government regulations and takes corrective action when required
- Attracts, hires, on-boards and retains the best talent to meet staffing requirements and guest service standards
- Proactively handles employee relations issues and deviations from Brand Standards; involves the Corporate Operations Leader and HR as appropriate to resolve issues
- Develops and executes the local store marketing plan with Marketing Director to build relationships with civic, business, school, and professional organizations to drive sales and guest counts
- Monitors that proper security procedures are in place to protect employees, guests and company assets
- Enforces sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness and maintenance of kitchen, dining areas and restrooms
- Works to create and maintain an enjoyable and respectful environment for our guests and employees
- Maintains compliance with all employers employment policies and Brand Standards to include all state, local and federal regulations
- Follows management cash handling, inventory and other operational procedures as outlined by company standard operating procedures
- Maintains & implements a strong commitment to guest satisfaction
- Completes all other tasks and duties as assigned.