At NorthStar, we know it's never too late to find your calling. Whether you're entry-level, a seasoned professional, or considering a complete career change all you need is the desire to truly make a difference in the lives of others.
Work and life: balanced. Ideas and innovation: invited. Employment with NorthStar Memorial Group is designed to transcend expectations. This is where purpose and passion collide and where fun meets functional experience.
We've made it our life's work to take care of others - and that starts with our employees.
We are seeking a Sr. Accountant for our home office in the Galleria area of Houston, TX. This role is responsible for the maintaining of assigned general ledger accounts, including analysis, reconciliation, and process improvements.
- Prepare, review, analyze and reconcile assigned general ledger accounts to ensure accuracy, completeness, compliance with GAAP and conformity with company procedures and reporting standards
- Develop, implement, modify, and document monthly, quarterly and annual accounting tasks and the associated accounting systems, by making use of current computer technology
- Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations to ensure costs are being reported in the correct accounting period
- Calculate and record various expense allocations
- Responsible for creating, reviewing and posting journal entries
- Responsible for handling non-routine reporting transactions
- Assist with special projects, critical assignments and reports as assigned
- Assist the other accounting team members by providing support in resolving issues
- Meet month end close deadlines
- Assist with the year end audit
- Assist in the accounting integration related to acquisitions
- Respond to requests from upper management and the field
- Establish and maintain communication with other departments and the field operations
- Must demonstrate an understanding of GAAP and be able to apply GAAP theory to complex scenarios
- Must be a solution minded individual who is able to identify and offer solutions to resolve issues
- Must show independent judgement and critical thinking when preparing and reviewing their work and the work of other team members
- Must be detail oriented
- Ability to adapt to change
- Able to multitask and prioritize work
- Able to work both independently and with a team
- Proficient with Excel spreadsheet advanced formulas and formatting
- Ability to adapt to multiple company software programs
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Must have an excellent work ethic
- Must display an initiative in taking on additional assignments
- 5+ years of accounting experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required
- Certified Professional Accountant highly preferred
- Experience in the funeral profession highly preferred
Want to stay informed about new job opportunities at NorthStar? Join our Talent Network & receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests!
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.