Director of Software Development / System Software Engineering Lead
We are hiring for an embedded software expert to build an internal software development capability and lead development of our next generation networked audio products. We are looking for a confident leader of both people and projects, with solid experience building and managing internal and external teams. The ideal candidate is passionate about their work and interested in working with a small close-knit team to build great things for the audio industry.
In this Director of Software Development / System Software Engineering Lead role, you will work closely with company leadership to strategize and define the vision for our next generation products. You will help build and lead an internal software development team and will be responsible for managing all aspects of full-cycle software development. Working collaboratively with internal resources, contracted development partners, and suppliers, much of your work will be architecting, defining, verifying, and managing the work of others. But you are just as comfortable rolling up your sleeves and generating mature and efficient code on your own.
- Develop a new ecosystem of networked audio products including definition, architecture, execution, verification, and debugging the embedded software systems.
- Grow and manage internal software development team and resources while managing and collaborating with suppliers and external software development teams.
- Establish processes, best practices, and manage the end-to-end software development cycle.
- Evaluate security risks and drive a secure-by-design culture.
- Program embedded microprocessors, such as 8051s, ARM Cortex-A & Cortex-M processors, and SHARC families of processors, in Assembler and C/C++ with or without RTOS.
- Board bring-up and hardware design validation.
- Drive analysis, efficiency enhancements, stability, and scalability of system resources.
- Develop performance indicators to analyze and improve product performance and features.
- Research new technologies to enhance products, improve reliability, or lower costs.
Requirements for the Director of Software Development / System Software Engineering Lead Position
- Minimum B.S., M.S. EE or CS preferred, with emphasis on system software, security, embedded solutions, and audio
- 10+ years of relevant software development experience, including at least 3 years developing audio-related products.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience managing an engineering team.
- Experience architecting, developing, and implementing software solutions in both Linux and RTOS based embedded environments:
- Memory allocation and management (execute-in-place, virtual memory, etc.)
- Low-level (kernel/drivers/HAL), as well as user-space system software.
- Protocol design, specification, and implementation.
- Design & implementation in-field system firmware update mechanisms including fail-safes.
- Experience developing secure-by-design systems, with deep understanding of security-related risks and solutions for networked-connected embedded systems.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to accurately estimate software tasks and work to schedule.
- Excellent understanding of system software architectures applicable to MCU and MPU based embedded systems:
- Scheduling methodologies, their trade-offs, and how to implement them.
- Linux OS concepts, tools, and libraries, including ALSA, audio framework, and audio drivers.
- In-system communication busses such as I2C, SPI, UART, USB, I2S, MIPI, RGMII, PCIe, etc.
- Power and clock tree architectures and optimizing for low power / performance trade-offs.
- Excellent knowledge of verification methodologies, white box testing, leveraging automation, and strong debugging skills.
- Ability to interpret hardware circuits, schematics and block diagrams.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (~10% of the time).
What separates the best from the rest
- Experience building a team from the ground up, or previous work at a start-up.
- Extensive understanding of modern security practices and threats.
- Additional knowledge & experience with:
- low-latency USB audio
- AES67, Audio-Video Bridging (AVB), Audinate Dante and other audio networking standards
- Audio sample rate conversion and clock synchronization techniques
- DSP programming and development of audio-related algorithms
- Machine Learning and Neural Network processing
- Building Cloud-based back-end systems
- Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC, and other forms of wireless communications
- Effective communication, both written and verbal, including the ability to talk directly with suppliers and customers.
- Independent minded yet collaborative by nature.
- Customer and experience focused perspective.
- Sense of ownership and pride in one's work.
- Rigorous and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Willing to acknowledge mistakes or if they don't know something, a willingness to ask for help, and a hunger to always learn more.
For over 35 years, the Sonance brand has been recognized as a world leader in the design and marketing of quality distributed audio systems including speaker systems, amplifiers, and electronics. Sonance and its parent company, Dana Innovations, have a history of introducing innovative products and concepts to the residential custom install market, many so disruptive as to have created entirely new product categories.
One such product, the world's first in-wall dock for iPod, was launched in 2006 along with the introduction of the iPort brand. Today, iPort is known for its extremely successful line of products that hold, charge, and protect Apple iOS devices. iPort products can be found at point-of-sale stations, in conference rooms, and in high-end homes throughout the world.
Unveiled in 2009, TRUFIG brand products are revolutionary architectural and interior design solutions that allow disparate technologies to share consistent design aesthetics. Typically installed in walls and ceilings, these products are designed to blend into the space and virtually disappear.
Acquired in 2020, James Loudspeaker designs and manufactures high-performance speaker solutions for indoor, outdoor, and marine applications. James products maintain minimal visual presence while delivering the ultimate entertainment experience. And with unprecedented customization capabilities, superior fit and finish, and constant innovation, James has become the go-to audio brand for the world's most exclusive homes.
Sonance, iPort, TRUFIG, and James Loudspeaker are preferred brands in the audio custom install market with products are sold in over 75 countries. We combine technology, innovation, and design into an exciting and fast-growing business on pace to double in size over the next five years. Over 60% of our growth comes from product innovation and new business development. Dana Innovations invests heavily into R&D every year, and the team is committed to maintaining our leadership position while pioneering new markets.