Location: San Francisco, CA Category: Faculty Positions Posted On: Fri Feb 19 2021 Job Description:
The Transformative Studies Doctorate (TSD) Program of the California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) is accepting applications for one full-time faculty position. Transformative Studies has been an asynchronous online doctoral program since its inception 15 years ago. This transdisciplinary degree frames inquiry as a creative process and encourages innovative research on a range of topics and issues within the general scope of the faculty's expertise.
This transdisciplinary program is designed to aid students in developing skills for creative inquiry and to prepare them for qualitative or theoretical research. Courses are mainly asynchronous and seminar style.
The program begins with a retreat (virtual at this time or in person in the future) each Fall and Spring semester, followed by 15 weeks of online instruction. The course curriculum consists of 36 units followed by the dissertation phase.
Teaching, mentoring, and curriculum development in the graduate program allows faculty members the opportunity to exercise broad-ranging intellectual curiosity.
Due to the unique nature of the department and the institution, candidates are urged to consult the Transformative Inquiry Department pages at the CIIS website (www.ciis.edu/tsd), to assess their alignment with the departmental and institutional missions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties for a full-time position involve a combination of: teaching, serving on dissertation committees, serving on university committees, attending faculty meetings, working collaboratively with faculty and program director, conducting information sessions and admissions interviews, attending CIIS-wide Open Houses, and engaging in professional development.
In reviewing applications, the hiring committee will place high value on:
- Commitment to the mission and transdisciplinary vision explored by the TSD department
- Inspiring and effective asynchronous online teaching skills and facilitation of experiential learning
- Scholarly expertise and/or proficiency in teaching in such areas as critical thinking, scholarly writing, research design, and research methods.
- An active research agenda, scholarly publications, and engaged scholarship in areas related to personal and social transformation.
- The department specializes in transdisciplinary research. We welcome scholars from across the social sciences and humanities, particularly those experienced in complexity and systems thinking.
- Skilled in creating inclusive learning environments for students. Demonstrated ability to address, manage and facilitate issues of class, race, gender, disability, ethnicity and other crucial issues that arise in the classroom; viewing diversity as integral to all phases of education and scholarship
- Ability to mentor students in an inquiry-based program and direct doctoral dissertations, ensuring rigorous academic standards and quality aligned with program goals
- Willingness to mentor students in the publication process
- Commitment to participate in TSD community events and to take up administrative responsibilities
- Experience collaborating with other faculty on administrative, academic and professional development policies
- Doctoral degree required
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with skills and experiences
NOTES TO CANDIDATE
Working Conditions -- Duties are primarily performed at home office, with regular and active participation in online teaching on Canvas (CIIS LMS)
Background Check -- Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver's license.
Visa Sponsorship -- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Relocation Assistance -- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Every applicant will be considered regardless of race, color, ethnicity, creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. All qualified persons legally authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations for people with disabilities will be provided on request.