Location: San Francisco, CA Category: Faculty Positions Posted On: Wed Feb 17 2021 Job Description:
Note: we are currently seeking two half-time positions or 1 full-time position.
The Somatic Psychology Program at CIIS, the first of its kind in the field, is one of four accredited clinical degree programs in the US. It incorporates psychodynamic and body-oriented approaches to psychotherapy and prepares students for cutting edge work in somatic psychology. It integrates analytic relational, attachment, dyadic/early childhood, trauma theory and regulatory neuroscience with somatic principles and practices. Students graduate with a Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology with a concentration in Somatic Psychotherapy. It is one of five concentrations in The School of Professional Psychology and Health at CIIS that lead to the Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, fulfilling the academic requirements for Marriage and Family Therapist licensure in the State of California.
From its creation 30 years ago, the program has served as a seedbed for the evolution of a now rapidly growing body of successful practitioners and scholars in the field. In any year there is a community of 90-120 matriculated students across the three years of the program. The program creates an exciting learning environment that combines experiential work with didactic learning. New faculty will enter a community committed to discussion and forward thinking in the field of somatic psychotherapy. The program has, for many years, supported a successful clinic, the Center for Somatic Psychotherapy, where students earn practicum credits while learning and applying body-oriented approaches to psychotherapy under the supervision of licensed practitioners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties for this half-time position include:
- Teach 9 units (if half-time) per year or 18 units (if full-time)
- Advise new and continuing students
- Serve on university committees
- Attend faculty and student meetings
- Work collaboratively with faculty and program chair
- Conduct information sessions and admissions interviews
- Attend CIIS-wide Open Houses
- Attend yearly program retreat
- Engage in professional development and scholarly work
- Successful applicants will hold a doctorate degree (preferred) or a masters in counseling psychology or related field, and hold a California license (MFT, LPCC, MSW, Psychologist)
- In addition, candidates must have professional training in one or more somatic psychology approaches such as Somatic Experiencing, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Hakomi, Bodynamics, Neo-Reichian work, Body-Mind Centering, Santeria, Authentic Movement, or dance therapy
- They will have broad and deep experience in the field of Somatic Psychology - in particular working across the mind-body interface through breathing, moving, touching, sensing
- Must have graduate level teaching experience, and a background in both family systems approaches and psychodynamic approaches to psychotherapy
- Evidence of established research interest, cultural studies and community orientation will be enhancing
- We are seeking faculty with sensitivity and competency in addressing diversity, inclusivity and social justice
- Demonstrated ability to address, manage and facilitate issues of race, class, gender, disability and ethnicity that arise in the classroom
- Demonstrated ability to positively facilitate interpersonal conflicts, projections and ruptures in the classroom
- A strong personal somatic practice like hatha yoga, martial arts practice or others is preferred
- CIIS is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from minorities and individuals with disabilities
- Early career professionals are also encouraged to apply
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary at the Assistant Professor level, commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include excellent medical/dental/vision coverage.
NOTES TO CANDIDATE
Background Check -- Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver's license.
Visa Sponsorship -- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Relocation Assistance -- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio- economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff, and to provide an environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQQI).