FACILITIES MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR (BUILDING SERVICES) - 0722 Salary
$46,987.20 - $70,491.20 Annually
206 S. Main Street - Greenville, SC
- Brief Description
Under general direction and in compliance with standard operating procedures and policies, plans, supervises, and implements maintenance, construction, and inspections for assigned facilities. Ensures a high standard of workplace safety. Collects all work requests, generates work orders, and assigns work with respect to skill level and availability of employees. Estimates labor, material, and financial resources required for job completion. Submits invoices for payment and monitors project budgets. Meets with contractors, attends department/division meetings, and represents division interests. Position is subject to call back should equipment malfunction after hours.
- Job Duties
Essential Functions % of Time
- Oversee and Perform Facility Maintenance: Inspect and inventory assigned facilities, utilities, roofs, and other structures to access maintenance needs. Diagnose plumbing, electrical, HVAC, mechanical, or structural issues and define necessary resources and best methods to perform needed repairs. Prepare and prioritize work orders for maintenance by measuring and surveying job locations and meeting with internal customers to discuss needed specifications. Coordinate maintenance work with City departments and vendors, maintaining effective relations. Lead general construction projects. Visit jobs in progress, inspecting each phase of work, spot testing operational phases, and providing final inspection of completed jobs. Ensure clean walkways, public spaces, and restroom facilities. Receive and unload large deliveries.
- Supervise Staff: Supervise staff, including setting performance expectations and standards. Prioritize and assign work. Write and conduct performance evaluations. Ensure staff training. Coach, mentor, and counsel employees. Ensure staff compliance with departmental and City policies and procedures. Maintain safe work environment. In coordination with supervisor and Human Resources, review and update job descriptions. Participate in the hiring and selection of staff for open positions. Ensure the timely documentation and disciplining of employees consistent with Human Resources policies.
- Perform General Administration & Budget Preparation: Prepare clear and concise written plans, work orders, and reports. Estimate labor, material, and financial resources required for job completion. Submit bid requests and prepare vendor quotes as necessary. Track project expenditures. Suggest budget amendments as appropriate. Order, pick up, and/or confirm receipt of parts and supplies. Assure that all division assigned vehicles are properly maintained and driven by assigned personnel in a safe manner. Meet with various vendors to assure equipment in facilities are properly maintained and service agreements are being attained. Review any potential Capital Improvement Projects with manager and prepare necessary documentation for project requests.
- Ensure Safety in the Workplace: Proactively identify, remove and/or report potential hazards to appropriate authorities. Comply and ensure subordinate compliance with City, State, and Federal safety procedures and protocols in performance of job duties to include reporting all accidents, incidents, and injuries witnessed or incurred. Ensure equipment has appropriate safety measures in place. Conduct safety meetings providing pertinent updates on safety issues and problems; demonstrate the use of necessary safety equipment required for the job. Conduct reviews of all injuries and accidents, and implement changes and/or training to enhance safety practices. Train staff in proper use of equipment and materials. Organize, document, and evaluate annually required safety drills. Remove snow and spread ice melt when necessary. Oversee monthly facilities safety inspection process and provide results to management and the Citys Risk Manager.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in building trades, construction, or a related field.
- Over four years of experience in building trades or construction.
- OR six years of directly related experience in building trades or construction may be considered in lieu of education requirement.
- Must have prior experience in HVAC, electrical, carpentry, and plumbing.
- Must have or obtain training/certification in OSHA 30, CPR, AED, and First Aid within first year of employment.
- Building trades certifications in electrical, plumbing, and/or HVAC.
Driver`s License Requirements
- Valid South Carolina Class D Driver`s License.
- Maintenance and construction of the Citys infrastructure to include water lines, power lines, sidewalks, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems, and buildings.
- Safety, operation, inspection guidelines related to I9 Elevators in applicable facilities.
- Principles and practices of modern facility maintenance including planning, organizing, staffing, supervising, training, and managing human resources.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety precautions.
- Various pieces of light and heavy equipment and the utilization and maintenance for each.
- Emergency Operations and how they are coordinated with other Departments.
- Develop and implement service-related plans, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare clear project and maintenance reports.
- Select, lead, manage, supervise, motivate, and evaluate staff and provide training and professional development.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other city departments.
- Enforce and ensure compliance of applicable City and department policies.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Work under pressure and with deadlines.
- Delegate work efficiently and effectively.
- Manage trade professionals.
- Perform tasks related to carpentry, electrical systems, plumbing systems, HVAC systems, and associated building infrastructure.
- Operate lift-truck, platform lifts, walkie-talkie, backpack blower, bobcat skid steer, utility vehicles, pick-up trucks, vans, lift-truck, air compressor, welder, electric pneumatic, and battery powered drills, saws, and other power tools, and hand tools (hammers, screwdrivers, wire-cutters, pliers, fence pliers, tin snips).
- Operate general office equipment to include scanner, printer, copier, telephone, and computer with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Utilize specialized software and systems to include work management system, CAD, and timekeeping system.
- Working Conditions
Primary Work Location: Maintenance shop, City facilities, vehicle, and outdoors (parking garages).
Protective Equipment Required: Gloves, eyewear, dust mask, flame resistant clothing, safety shoes, flash protection for arc flash, hard hat, harness, respiratory protection, and hearing protection.
Environmental/Health and Safety Factors:
Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. Daily exposure to physical hazards. Weekly exposure to respiratory hazards, noise and vibration. Seasonal exposure to extreme temperatures and wetness and/or humidity. Frequent exposure to mechanical hazards and physical danger or abuse. Occasional exposure to chemical, electrical & fire hazards, and communicable diseases.
Frequently requires standing, walking, carrying, vision, foot controls, hearing, and talking. Occasionally requires fine dexterity, lifting, reaching, handling, kneeling, pushing/pulling, balancing, bending, crouching, twisting, sitting, and foot controls. Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly.
Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, tedious or exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Occasionally requires emergency situations and irregular schedule/overtime.
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
The City of Greenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Prospective and current employees should contact Human Resources to request an ADA accommodation.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The City of Greenville offers a comprehensive and affordable benefits package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit the needs of our employees and their families. View more details about these benefits here: City of Greenville Employee Benefits.
The City offers the following health insurance options to eligible employees:
All health insurance coverage is effective the first of the month following the employees hire date except for LTD which is effective the 91st day following date of hire.
- Basic Term Life
- Employee Supplemental Life
- Spouse Term Life
- Child Term Life
- Short Term Disability (STD)
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Voluntary Benefits (Critical Illness, Accident, Hospital Care, etc.)
LEAVE & HOLIDAY BENEFITS
- General Leave is earned/accrued biweekly by all regular, full-time and permanent part-time employees as a percentage of normal work hours.
- The City of Greenville observes 11 paid holidays.
The City is a member of the South Carolina State (SCRS) and Police Officers (PORS) defined benefit Retirement Systems.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
OTHER BENEFITS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Employee Recognition & Awards Program (ER&A)
- Employee Service Awards
- Longevity Bonus
- Worker`s Compensation
- Deferred Compensation
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- City of Greenville (SC)
- 206 S. Main St
Greenville, South Carolina, 29601
How To Apply:
Please fill out our Online Application by clicking the Apply button below:
Our office hours are 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
The City of Greenville will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals. The City of Greenville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in employment or provision of services.