CONCRETE SUPERVISOR - 0622 Salary
$43,721.60 - $65,582.40 Annually
475 Fairforest Way - Greenville, SC
8/5/2022 11:59 PM Eastern
- Brief Description
Under general direction and in compliance with standard operating procedures and policies, plans, directs, and supervises the maintenance of City infrastructure. Utilizes internal work order system to complete and assign tasks. Completes paperwork, to include foremans reports, timesheets, and vehicle inspection reports. Maintains proficiency in the operation of all Public Works heavy equipment and vehicles. Participates in after-hours on-call duty as an on-call supervisor. Takes a lead role in the Citys operations during inclement weather.
- Job Duties
% of Time
- Supervise Staff: Supervise unit staff, including setting performance expectations and standards; prioritizing and assigning work; allocating staff; writing and conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; coaching, mentoring, and counseling employees; ensuring staff compliance with departmental and City policies and procedures; and maintaining safe work environment. In coordination with supervisor and Human Resources, review and update job descriptions; participate in the hiring and selection of staff for open positions; and ensure the timely documentation and disciplining of employees consistent with Human Resources policies. Fill out daily reports to account for time on each day. Fill out and approve timesheets. Place special order request for project materials and supplies. Fill in for Superintendent when absent. Assist in preparation and control of the division budget.
- Oversee & Perform Construction Projects: Oversee maintenance crew in the repair of City infrastructure to include curbs, gutters, sidewalks, driveways, catch basins, retaining walls, and other various construction projects. Meet with project managers, engineers, designers, and inspectors to facilitate job functions. Respond to homeowner complaints and problems. Read blueprints, plan and assess job site, enforce safety policies, formulate a critical path, and calculate and order materials. Utilize various hand and power tools to complete projects. Must maintain proficiency in and utilize heavy equipment such as backhoes, trackhoes, skid steers, front end loaders, dump trucks, etc.
- Ensure Safety Measures: Proactively identifies, removes and/or reports potential safety hazards. Takes steps to address, remove, or report hazardous conditions or items. Complies with City, State, and Federal safety procedures and protocols in the performance of job duties. Ensures equipment and property safety. Conduct weekly safety meetings with crew and submit a report of each meeting. Complete monthly vehicle inspection sheets, accident reports, and injury reports as necessary.
- Operate During Inclement Weather & Special Events: Take a lead role in the Citys operations during inclement weather (e.g., ice, snow, flooding, etc.) and special events (e.g., festivals). May be responsible for providing supervision and direction to other departmental personnel. Operate sanders and snowplows to maintain and clear roadways, walkways, and pedestrian areas as necessary.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Over four years of construction experience.
- Must have or obtain flaggercertification within 6 months of hire.
- American Concrete Institute Flatwork Finisher certification.
- Prior leadership or supervisory experience.
- Advanced training in public works, construction safety, or related field.
Driver`s License Requirements
- Valid South Carolina Class D Driver`s License at hire.
- Valid South Carolina Class B Commercial Learner`s Permit (CLP) within 3 weeks of hire.
- Valid South Carolina Class B CDL with air brake provision and tanker endorsement within 3 months of hire.
- Concrete construction best practices and procedures.
- Safe equipment operating practices/procedures.
- Traffic rules, regulations, laws, and procedures for the safe operation and setup in various traffic conditions.
- SC 811 Utility locating services.
- Proper personal protective equipment (PPE) relative to work activities.
- Workplace safety regulations and related Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements.
- Provide training, guidance and direction to subordinates; assign and monitor work for accuracy and completion.
- Estimate cost and materials for assignments.
- Read and understand maps in multiple formats, as well as orient locations.
- Utilize a variety of communications and interpersonal skills to interact successfully with people at several levels inside and/or outside the organization.
- Work in inclement weather conditions (e.g., cold, heat, rain, wind, snow, sleet, etc.).
- Read technical journals and manuals, as well as regulations and policies.
- Write reports and compose emails in a clear and professional manner.
- Operate dump trucks, front end loader, tamp, concrete saw, jack hammer, chainsaw, gas detector, concrete mixer, pumps, and hand tools.
- Operate general office equipment to include scanner, printer, copier, telephone, calculator, smart tablet, and computer with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Utilize specialized software and systems to include work management system and mapping system.
- Working Conditions
Primary Work Location: Outdoors, office, and in vehicle.
Protective Equipment Required: Hardhats, gloves, safety vest & harness, steel-toe shoes & dust mask.
Environmental/Health and Safety Factors:
Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. Daily exposure to extreme temperature, respiratory hazards, noise and vibration, and physical hazards. Seasonal exposure to wetness and/or humidity. Frequent exposure to mechanical hazards. Occasional exposure to chemical hazards and electrical hazards.
Continuously requires standing, walking, and talking. Frequently requires fine dexterity, lifting, carrying, handling, kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing, vision, bending, crouching, and hearing. Occasionally requires sitting, reaching, crawling, foot controls, balancing, and twisting. Heavy strength demands include exerting 50-100 pounds occasionally, 25-50 pounds frequently, or from 10 up to 20 pounds constantly.
Frequently requires time pressures, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, tedious or exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Occasionally requires frequent change of tasks and irregular schedule/overtime.
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
The City of Greenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Prospective and current employees should contact Human Resources to request an ADA accommodation.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The City of Greenville offers a comprehensive and affordable benefits package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit the needs of our employees and their families. View more details about these benefits here: City of Greenville Employee Benefits.
The City offers the following health insurance options to eligible employees:
All health insurance coverage is effective the first of the month following the employees hire date except for LTD which is effective the 91st day following date of hire.
- Basic Term Life
- Employee Supplemental Life
- Spouse Term Life
- Child Term Life
- Short Term Disability (STD)
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Voluntary Benefits (Critical Illness, Accident, Hospital Care, etc.)
LEAVE & HOLIDAY BENEFITS
- General Leave is earned/accrued biweekly by all regular, full-time and permanent part-time employees as a percentage of normal work hours.
- The City of Greenville observes 11 paid holidays.
The City is a member of the South Carolina State (SCRS) and Police Officers (PORS) defined benefit Retirement Systems.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
OTHER BENEFITS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Employee Recognition & Awards Program (ER&A)
- Employee Service Awards
- Longevity Bonus
- Worker`s Compensation
- Deferred Compensation
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- City of Greenville (SC)
- 206 S. Main St
Greenville, South Carolina, 29601
How To Apply:
Please fill out our Online Application by clicking the Apply button below:
Our office hours are 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
The City of Greenville will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals. The City of Greenville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in employment or provision of services.