FACILITIES TECHNICIAN (PUBLIC WORKS) - 0722 Salary
$29,307.20 - $41,038.40 Annually
475 Fairforest Way - Greenville, SC
PUBLIC WORKS ADMINISTRATION
- Brief Description
Under regular direction and in compliance with standard operating procedures and policies, performs daily repairs, upkeep, and general maintenance of assigned Public Works facilities. Conducts regularly scheduled maintenance, ensuring that facilities are available for use and consistently maintained in a safe and clean condition. Performs basic carpentry, painting, custodial duties, and landscaping. Operates a variety of maintenance and cleaning tools and equipment and performs related work as required. Assists with the setup, tear down, and cleanup of events.
- Job Duties
Essential Functions % of Time
- Maintain Public Works Campus: Ensure all facilities, including but not limited to, administration office buildings, fleet maintenance facilities, campus grounds, and parking lots are routinely inspected and maintained. Perform general maintenance tasks, including landscaping, painting, and basic carpentry. Change light bulbs and fluorescent tubes as needed. Assist with the installation and removal of plant material (flowers, and shrubs) during approved times of the year. Provide assistance to internal and external stakeholders during storm/weather clean up or related events and emergencies. Remove hazardous items such as dead animals, bees, ants, snakes, and invasive and noxious plant material as directed.
- Provide Maintenance of Equipment and Supplies: Implement preventative maintenance procedures. Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies. Troubleshoot equipment that is identified during inspections or reported as not working properly. Repair and/or replace broken parts as needed. Consult with supervisor to procure and install new equipment. Maintain the inventory records for equipment and supplies. Work with custodial staff to order janitorial supplies.
- Conduct Assessments: Conduct monthly building inspections with the use of provided software. Submit work orders for repairs or items needing to be addressed by other departments. Document maintenance repairs and requirements. Inspect equipment and systems to identify any issues.
- Assist with Special Projects and Events: Assist with the set-up, tear down, and cleanup of special events. Assist with various city-related projects, including the construction, installation, and tearing down of temporary structures, banners, and decorations. Operate hand and power tools and equipment in the performance of responsibilities.
- Ensure Safety Measures: Proactively identify, remove and/or report potential hazards. Address, remove, or report hazardous conditions or items such as dead animals, bees, ants, snakes, and invasive and noxious plant material as directed. Comply with local, state, and federal safety procedures and protocols in the performance of job duties to include reporting all accidents, incidents, and injuries witnessed or incurred. Ensure equipment and property safety. Conduct monthly check of fire extinguishers and document condition of each. Conduct monthly and weekly checks of AEDs.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent training and/or job-related experience.
- Over one year of experience in facilities or general maintenance.
Driver`s License Requirements
- Valid South Carolina Class D Driver`s License.
- Methods and techniques used in the operation, repair, and maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Methods and materials used for painting.
- Operational characteristics of a variety of tools and equipment.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Safe practices for the use of ladders or elevated walkways.
- Proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Perform semi-skilled facility maintenance involving heavy manual labor.
- Independently organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and follow up on assignments.
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills and establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships.
- Maintain records and files on work performed.
- Identify and report safety issues and concerns that are observed during the course of essential job functions.
- Read, understand, and apply manuals and policies.
- Write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names and addresses.
- Perform the basic arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) and effectively use ratios and measurements.
- Safely operate and effectively use light equipment (e.g. pressure washer, leaf blower, and weed trimmer) and basic hand and power tools.
- Operate general office equipment to include telephone, computer and/or smart tablet to submit work requests.
- Working Conditions
Primary Work Location: Public Works campus.
Protective Equipment Required: Safety glasses, gloves, dust masks, close-toed shoes, and reflective vest.
Environmental/Health and Safety Factors:
Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Occasional work performed outside. Daily exposure to extreme temperature, wetness and/or humidity, respiratory hazards, chemical hazards, and communicable diseases. Weekly exposure to mechanical hazards. Seasonal exposure to noise and vibration.
Constantly requires hearing, vision, talking, carrying, fine dexterity, handling/grasping, lifting, pushing/pulling, reaching, twisting, bending, and standing. Frequently requires crouching/stooping, kneeling, and walking. Occasionally requires climbing, crawling, balancing, sitting, and foot controls. Heavy strength demands include exerting up to 20 pounds constantly and 20-50 pounds frequently.
Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, tedious or exacting work, and working in a noisy/distracting environment. Occasionally requires working an irregular schedule/overtime and working closely with others as part of a team.
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
The City of Greenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Prospective and current employees should contact Human Resources to request an ADA accommodation.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The City of Greenville offers a comprehensive and affordable benefits package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit the needs of our employees and their families. View more details about these benefits here: City of Greenville Employee Benefits.
The City offers the following health insurance options to eligible employees:
All health insurance coverage is effective the first of the month following the employees hire date except for LTD which is effective the 91st day following date of hire.
- Basic Term Life
- Employee Supplemental Life
- Spouse Term Life
- Child Term Life
- Short Term Disability (STD)
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Voluntary Benefits (Critical Illness, Accident, Hospital Care, etc.)
LEAVE & HOLIDAY BENEFITS
- General Leave is earned/accrued biweekly by all regular, full-time and permanent part-time employees as a percentage of normal work hours.
- The City of Greenville observes 11 paid holidays.
The City is a member of the South Carolina State (SCRS) and Police Officers (PORS) defined benefit Retirement Systems.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
OTHER BENEFITS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Employee Recognition & Awards Program (ER&A)
- Employee Service Awards
- Longevity Bonus
- Worker`s Compensation
- Deferred Compensation
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- City of Greenville (SC)
- 206 S. Main St
Greenville, South Carolina, 29601
How To Apply:
Please fill out our Online Application by clicking the Apply button below:
Our office hours are 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
The City of Greenville will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals. The City of Greenville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in employment or provision of services.