PARKS & GROUNDS SUPERINTENDENT - 0622 Salary
$52,520.00 - $78,780.00 Annually
206 S. Main Street - Greenville, SC
PARKS, RECREATION & TOURISM (PRT)
PARKS & GROUNDS
- Brief Description
Under general direction and in compliance with standard operating procedures and policies, manages and coordinates the personnel and operations of the parks districts, public plazas, cemeteries, ballfields, trails, playgrounds, and park amenities. Sets standards for acceptable levels and methods of beautification and maintenance. Conducts inspections of designated park areas and inspects and assesses plants for insects, diseases, and weed issues. Implements approved projects and improvements, researching necessary resources and recommending systems and procedures to implement projects. Coordinates capital improvement projects, to include oversight of the design, installation, and inspection. Prepares and proposes budget needs, as well as contributes to the development of grants. Serves as a liaison between the parks division and other City departments and outside organizations. Serves as division coordinator for storm clean-up and weather-related events. Coordinates special event supervision, setup, tear down, and cleanup as assigned.
- Job Duties
% of Time
- Manage Daily Operations: Supervise the daily operations and maintenance of assigned parks, facilities, cemeteries, playgrounds, ballfields, public plazas, trails, and park amenities. Supervise and assist crews with pesticide spraying, irrigation installation and repair, water tap installation, basic park maintenance projects, playground installations, soil samples, fertilization, insect identification, fungal identification, weed identification, and preventative maintenance of equipment. Supervise assigned contracted services. Make decisions pertaining to park facilities, amenities, and design to ensure the safety of its users. Monitor equipment and report damages or expiration. Interpret federal, state and local laws, policies, rules and regulations pertaining to land management, including use of fertilizers and pesticides. Respond to service requests, emergency calls, and visitor concerns. Perform the additional following duties based on assigned function(s) and/or facilitates:
- Parks & Amenities: Oversee grave interments for City cemeteries. Manage the inspection and auditing process of City playground equipment for compliance with National Safety Standards and assist in preparing playground specifications for the design and construction of new playgrounds.
- Downtown Districts: Plan and produce planting plans for annual flower design. Oversee the maintenance of the areas of CBD to maintain the integrity of the architectural design.
- Unity Park: Manage the day-to-day operations of the splash pad. Oversee daily maintenance, including routine testing of water chemical levels to meet DHEC regulations and ensure a clean, safe environment for patrons.
- Supervise Staff: Provide the management and leadership to meet the Departments mission and current and long-range goals. Plan and direct the day-today activities of the unit, including meeting with staff daily to communicate work assignments, priorities, projects, and expectations to ensure a safe and memorable experience for patrons. Review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures. Provide policy guidance and interpretation. Provide orientation, teaching, and guidance to staff to assure safe practices and quality of services. Work collaboratively with Deputy Director and Parks & Grounds Administrator where performance and disciplinary issues may exist to correct the situation in a positive and proactive manner, ensuring the timely and effective documentation required by City Human Resources policies. Oversee and direct recruitment and selection of division personnel. Conduct performance reviews in a timely, consistent and fair manner. Provide for staff training and professional development including ensuring required certifications are maintained. Ensure timely reporting and documentation of all work place accidents/incidents. Review and approve time and attendance. Ensure compliance with City and Department policies.
- Plan and Coordinate Projects: Contribute to and/or develop the scope and specifications for assigned projects inclusive of work materials, plants, trees, chemicals and necessary crews. Submit project request to Parks and Grounds Administrator and present approved project scope to key stakeholders. Supervise and inspect work performed by consultants, landscape architects, and contractors for compliance with contract specifications.
- Budget: Monitor division procurement procedures and approve expenditures in accordance with established guidelines. Ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment. Manage budgets associated with assigned projects. Monitor division spending and communicate with Parks and Grounds Administrator regarding spending and budget needs. Assist in acquiring and obtaining grants.
- Serve as Division Liaison: Work with outside agencies to provide support and guidance on project development and cooperative partnerships, inclusive of the local garden clubs and neighborhood associations. Create landscape designs consistent with department and community expectations and standards. Participate on City and non-profit committees/boards. Serve as ambassador and representative for Parks Division and the City of Greenville in addressing citizen needs, requests, and complaints. Coordinate with the internal and external departments point of contact for special events and reservations. Contact and meet with homeowners associations, garden clubs, contractors, volunteer groups, and other interested parties on various city projects. Work in conjunction with risk management on issues regarding claims against the department.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Over four years of experience as a supervisor in the Parks and Recreation field to include experience in grounds maintenance, landscape maintenance, horticulture, or a related field.
- South Carolina Non-Commercial Pesticides License Category 3.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certification/training within 3 months of hire.
- Must have or obtain the following certifications based on assigned area/facilities:
- Unity Park: DHEC Certified Pool Operator within 12 months of hire.
- Associate degree in turf management, horticulture or related field highly preferred.
- South Carolina Non-Commercial Pesticides License Category 5.
- Certified Playground Safety Inspector.
Driver`s License Requirements
- Valid South Carolina Class D Driver`s License.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety precautions related to park operations.
- Applicable laws, policies, rules and regulations pertaining to land management, including use of fertilizers and pesticides.
- Standards for mulch, playground safety, turf grass, and operations of park maintenance.
- Various pieces of light and heavy equipment and the utilization and maintenance procedures for each.
- Develop and implement service-related plans, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare clear and factual reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Select, lead, manage, supervise, motivate and evaluate staff and provide for their training and professional development
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other City departments and citizens.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Represent the City in a professional, effective manner.
- Work well under pressure, meeting multiple and sometimes conflicting deadlines.
- Delegate efficiently and effectively.
- Write policies, contracts, speeches, formal presentations, and/or technical and legal documents and correspondence.
- Make mathematical calculations and draw logical conclusions; work with fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurements.
- Use various lawn mowers (e.g., zero turn mower, push mower, etc.), bed edger, weed eater, hedge trimmers, hand pruners, back pack blower, tiller, tractor, skid loader, front end loader, small track hoe, back hoe, concrete saw, sod cutter, chainsaw, Ditch Witch, trailer, pick-up truck, sprayers, carpentry tools, plumbing tools, and hand tools.
- Utilize specialized software and systems to include mapping software and work management software.
- Operate general office equipment to include scanner, printer, copier, telephone, smartphone, and computer with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Drive City vehicles between facilities and job sites.
- Working Conditions
Primary Work Location: Office, vehicle, and outdoors.
Protective Equipment Required: Steel-toed boots, safety vest, earplugs, leather gloves, safety glasses, hardhat, chainsaw chaps, chemical suit, dust mask, protective clothes, and respirator.
Environmental/Health and Safety Factors:
Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Occasional outside work. Weekly exposure to respiratory hazards, noise and vibration, and physical hazards. Seasonal exposure to extreme temperature and wetness and/or humidity. Frequent exposure to mechanical hazards and chemical hazards. Occasional exposure to electrical hazards.
Continuously requires fine dexterity, vision, hearing, and talking. Frequently requires standing and walking. Occasionally requires lifting, carrying, sitting, reaching, handling, kneeling, pushing/pulling, foot controls, balancing, bending, crouching, and twisting. Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly AND/OR walking or standing to a significant degree.
Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, and tedious or exacting work. Occasionally requires emergency situations and noisy/distracting environment.
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
The City of Greenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Prospective and current employees should contact Human Resources to request an ADA accommodation.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The City of Greenville offers a comprehensive and affordable benefits package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit the needs of our employees and their families. View more details about these benefits here: City of Greenville Employee Benefits.
The City offers the following health insurance options to eligible employees:
All health insurance coverage is effective the first of the month following the employees hire date except for LTD which is effective the 91st day following date of hire.
- Basic Term Life
- Employee Supplemental Life
- Spouse Term Life
- Child Term Life
- Short Term Disability (STD)
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Voluntary Benefits (Critical Illness, Accident, Hospital Care, etc.)
LEAVE & HOLIDAY BENEFITS
- General Leave is earned/accrued biweekly by all regular, full-time and permanent part-time employees as a percentage of normal work hours.
- The City of Greenville observes 11 paid holidays.
The City is a member of the South Carolina State (SCRS) and Police Officers (PORS) defined benefit Retirement Systems.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
OTHER BENEFITS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Employee Recognition & Awards Program (ER&A)
- Employee Service Awards
- Longevity Bonus
- Worker`s Compensation
- Deferred Compensation
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
This position requires a South Carolina Category 3 Pesticide License, or the equivalent from another state and it must be unexpired. Do you hold this license?
- Yes, I hold the license and it is still current.
- I have held this license in the past, but it is currently expired.
- No, I do not hold this license.
- City of Greenville (SC)
- 206 S. Main St
Greenville, South Carolina, 29601
How To Apply:
Please fill out our Online Application by clicking the Apply button below:
Our office hours are 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
The City of Greenville will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals. The City of Greenville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in employment or provision of services.