STREET SWEEPER TRUCK OPERATOR - 0721 Salary
$16.27 - $24.00 Hourly
475 Fairforest Way - Greenville, SC
8/6/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
- Brief Description
Brief Description of the Job
Under limited supervision, assists in the removal of litter from streets, sidewalks, and parking garages located in the City. Clears and treats streets during seasonal weather including, removing leaves and debris, ice and snow, and sanding bridges. Ensures sweeper truck is ready for use by conducting daily inspections of the engine area, engine oil, and other fluid levels. Sweeps all streets on daily work order route. Operates backpack blower, dust pan, broom, pick stick, snow plow, and sander truck.
- Job Duties
Operate Street Sweep (80%): Operate right-side-drive street sweeper truck equipped with side gutter brooms and main broom. Control a continuous motion of maneuvering the brooms with a joystick mounted inside the cab of the truck and rocker switches located on the dash for outside-of-the-cab functions. Maneuver vehicle in and out of high traffic areas. Operate a console computer-operated function, which controls the Power-Take-Off (PTO), throttle and tailgate open/closing activities. Ensure truck is equipped with all necessary equipment for the day`s assignment including broom, dustpan, reflective triangles, shovel, fire extinguisher, LOCK OUT tag, hard hat, chock block and body props. Operate navigation system aids for street sweeping routing purposes. Complete and submit records of the routing issues, tonnage of loads, fuel usage, odometer readings, minor cost, and other records associated street sweeping tasks.
Sweep Sidewalks with Backpack Blower (10%): Using backpack blower, clean sidewalks, bridges, curbs/gutters and medians by blowing, gathering up, and removing litter, leaf litter, and other debris to keep City sidewalks and pedestrian right-of-ways clear.
Provide Litter Cleanup (10%): Use dust pan and broom, or pick stick to clean City sidewalks and road sides. Use tenant sweeper to sweep streets.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Formal Education: High school diploma or equivalency is required.
Experience: Over two years of experience operating solid waste, heavy, or construction equipment is required. Must have experience operating right-side-drive vehicles.
Drivers License Required: A valid Class B South Carolina CDL with air brake provisions is required.
Certifications and Other Requirements: DOT Medical Card is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Maintenance required for street sweepers.
- City Streets, geography of the community.
- Traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in motor vehicle operation.
- Basic problem-solving techniques for equipment and material use.
- Safe handling of litter, debris, recycling, and solid waste materials.
- Safely maneuver a right-hand drive sweeper truck through high traffic.
- Read and comprehend street maps.
- Complete assignments in allotted time while maintaining quality of work.
- Complete pre- and post-trip vehicle inspections.
- Perform basic mechanical adjustments/replacement of head and gutter broom attachments.
- Work cooperatively with other staff members.
- Communicate basic information to the public in a respectful and knowledgeable manner.
- Read basic communication in order to understand assigned routes and tasks.
- Complete work orders, routes, time sheets and safety checklists in a complete, timely and readable manner.
- Make simple mathematical calculations.
- Operate a two way radio or cell phone.
- Operate the following machines, tools, equipment, and work aids: CDL required street sweeper truck, hand tools, water truck, backpack blowers, dust pans, brooms, shovels, pick sticks, and pickup trucks and small sweeper.
Primary Work Location: Vehicle and outdoors.
Environmental/Health and Safety Factors: Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. Daily exposure to extreme temperature, wetness and/or humidity, respiratory hazards, noise and vibration, and physical hazards. Occasional exposure to mechanical hazards, chemical hazards, electrical hazards, and communicable diseases.
Protective Equipment Required: Safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs, safety vest, steel-toed boots, hard hat, and dust mask.
Continuously requires vision, foot controls, and hearing. Frequently requires walking, lifting, carrying, sitting, climbing, balancing, and twisting. Occasionally requires standing, fine dexterity, pushing/pulling, bending, crouching, and talking. Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly.
Frequently requires time pressures, tedious or exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Occasionally requires frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, and working closely with others as part of a team.
The City of Greenville offers a comprehensive and affordable benefits package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit the needs of our employees and their families. View more details about these benefits here: City of Greenville Employee Benefits.
The City offers the following health insurance options to eligible employees:
All health insurance coverage is effective the first of the month following the employees hire date except for LTD which is effective the 91st day following date of hire.
- Basic Term Life
- Employee Supplemental Life
- Spouse Term Life
- Child Term Life
- Short Term Disability (STD)
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Voluntary Benefits (Critical Illness, Accident, Hospital Care, etc.)
LEAVE & HOLIDAY BENEFITS
- General Leave is earned/accrued biweekly by all regular, full-time and permanent part-time employees as a percentage of normal work hours.
- The City of Greenville observes 11 paid holidays.
The City is a member of the South Carolina State (SCRS) and Police Officers (PORS) defined benefit Retirement Systems.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
OTHER BENEFITS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Employee Recognition & Awards Program (ER&A)
- Employee Service Awards
- Longevity Bonus
- Worker`s Compensation
- Deferred Compensation
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- City of Greenville (SC)
- 206 S. Main St
Greenville, South Carolina, 29601
How To Apply:
Please fill out our Online Application by clicking the Apply button below:
Our office hours are 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
The City of Greenville will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals. The City of Greenville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in employment or provision of services.