See all jobs in Madison WI
Job Location: Madison, WI
Non-supervisory engineering position within a company and exceeded by a Senior Principal or
Chief (principal) engineer in technically oriented organization. Work within advanced
engineering groups regarding development of control strategy for advanced vehicle control
systems. Controls work encompasses control strategy development and verification for hybrid
electric vehicles and components (motors, drives, engines, generators, energy storage cells etc.),
autonomous vehicle systems, advanced suspensions, material handling and other auxiliary
equipment such as diagnostics and prognostics systems for on-road and off-road applications.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Plan and direct the technical aspects of advanced vehicle system controls research,
development, verification and validation, testing and production implementation.
2. Conduct independent research and development on new technologies and establish
requirements (resources, equipment, estimates, test plans, and milestones) according to the needs
of a project.
3. Responsible for developing control strategies in a virtual simulation environment using
modeling tools (such as ADAMS, AMSIM, Vedyna and Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow etc.) or
hardware-in-the-loop simulators and transferring simulated strategies to vehicle testing and
eventual production implementation.
4. Work with internal and external (vendors, industry consortiums, or universities etc.) project
teams on advanced control development efforts under the guidance of a supervisor with minimum
5. Assist or direct feasibility studies and project estimates (man power, budget development, and
timelines etc.) on proposed projects.
6. Support or direct proposal development with regards to acquiring appropriate funding for
various advanced control development efforts.
7. Provide insight to engineering design teams and mentoring to low level engineers as needed
based on expertise. Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and 8-plus years related
2. Masters degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and 5-plus years related experience
3. Ph.D. in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering with 2 years related experience4. School project or work experience in diagnostics and prognostics algorithm development
5. Automotive or heavy-duty vehicle background with vehicle control system experiences
6. Work experience in automotive or heavy-duty vehicle CAN bus and architecture
7. Work experience in Mathworks, dSPACE or Vector tools and Autosar
8. Embedded software development experiences using C/C++/C# or Python a plus
1. Have the essential controls education background or in-depth work-related experiences
2. Strong time management, communication and critical thinking skills
3. Strong presentation skills and able to confidently interface internal or external customers.
4. Follow the directions of the supervisor very efficiently and provide feedback on the technical
hurdles and progresses with clarity and assess the priorities based on business needs
5. Complete the tasks under the guidance on mutually agreed schedule between the candidate
and the supervisor/program manager with minimum mentoring
6. Strongly motivated in learning new technologies and skills in controls fields
How To Apply:
You will be directed to another website for application instructions.