Requisition Id 1232
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation assistance is available for this position.
In this role you will develop and support process instrumentation and controls solutions for control and monitoring of the SNS accelerator, beam line instrument, and conventional facilities.
This position reports to the Process Controls Team Leader and works closely with members of the Controls, Accelerator, beam line instrument, and CF staff and ESH&Q personnel. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with industrial controls experts at other facilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specify, document, design, support, test, and maintain I&C systems for control and monitoring of the SNS accelerator, instruments and conventional facilities (CF) systems.
- Ensure consistency and adequacy among the system`s design basis and requirements, system documentation, and physical configuration. Utilize AutoCAD to develop and modify schematics for control systems and take an active role in working with research staff to perform subsystem design, fabrication, and testing.
- Evaluate designs for reliability, availability, maintainability and safety.
- Serve as process controls engineer for SNS vacuum, CF and other systems as assigned.
- Ensure a safe and efficient work environment and compliance with ESH&Q, NScD, SNS and Controls Group procedures and programs.
- Work to standardize control system components, assemblies and software
- As a member of the process controls team, work with members of the controls group, accelerator operations, and other machine support staff to meet increasing power and reliability goals and support operational excellence.
- Identify and maintain requirements for critical system spares. Prepare design and specification documents needed to procure spare components and systems.
- Generate Design Change Notifications (DCNs) for system design changes and ensure change control processes are followed. Maintain documentation in central repository. Develop and utilize quality testing procedures.
- Provide operational support for the SNS accelerator and control system. The position is typical office hours, but some off-hours and weekend support is required to support the 24/7 operational needs of the SNS.
- As appropriate, publish papers or reports, and represent SNS at conferences and/or workshops. Some domestic and/or foreign travel may be required to support collaborations or attend conferences or workshops.
- Ensure and monitor compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements. Promptly identify ESH and QA issues and communicate them to project and division management, ESH and QA contacts, and/or subcontractor contacts as appropriate.
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL`s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director`s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
- Bachelors degree in electrical / electro-mechanical, industrial or controls engineering and at least six years experience, or an associate degree in electrical / electro-mechanical, industrial or controls engineering and at least fifteen years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience with developing industrial control systems using Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) in a research or industrial environment.
- Experience user of AutoCAD to produce control schematics and enclosure layout drawings.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision from management.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with teams of scientists, engineers, and technicians.
- Designing and programming process control systems using programmable logic controllers and communication protocols. Experience with programing HMIs for user interface.
- Demonstrated experience with the design, specification and implementation of high reliability industrial control systems such as those in the process, nuclear, aerospace industries.
- Experienced troubleshooter of industrial control systems using various test equipment
- Experience using AutoCAD for producing control design drawings.
- Experience developing and supporting process controls for vacuum and/or CF systems
- Implementation of high reliability systems such as those found in the process, nuclear, aerospace, or defense industries
- Neutron user facility, light source or other large-scale experimental physics project or user facility
- Designing and programming control systems using Rockwell Allen-Bradley programmable logic controllers and communication protocols. Experience with programing HMIs using Rockwell Factory Talk View.
- Experience using ControlNet, DeviceNet, and Ethernet communication protocols.
- Experience specifying, selecting and implementing controls for specialized instrumentation including instrument to be used in a radiation environment.
About Neutron Sciences:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States` highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world`s most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-verify Employer.