Requisition Id 1305
The Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is hiring a Cloud Operations Engineer to perform tasks related to Cloud Framework Operations. The successful candidate will be a subject matter expert in several technical areas that may include authentication/identity and access management, data and information, integration, security, cloud computing, IaaS/SaaS/PaaS, Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment, and DevOps.
What will you be doing:
The Cloud Operations Engineer will consult/collaborate with ITSD and various staff across ORNL to anticipate future Cloud business goals and needs. This position will report to the Platform Services Team Lead. As the vast research needs of the lab expand and ORNL adopts the Cloud Smart DOE initiatives, you will be part of the leading edge of IT needs for the lab, helping to engineer new services and transition/retire old services to the cloud. While we would prefer candidates who will relocate to East Tennessee to truly engage in the wonderful culture that is East Tennessee, it is not a requirement that you move here.
Who is ORNL:
Born in secrecy under the Manhattan project of World War II, ORNL has emerged as the U.S. Department of Energys largest open science and energy laboratory. Innovation at ORNL is powered by literally thousands of top tier scientists, engineers, and technicians with access to world class facilities including the worlds fastest supercomputer (Summit). We are engaging in open, peer reviewed, interdisciplinary research cross cutting multiple application domains from neutrons to biology, from nuclear to manufacturing, and nanophase to national security. We are ORNL.
Working at ORNL:
ORNL has an innovative and fast paced culture that rewards innovation, has a flexible work schedule, and very competitive pay with industry. On any given day, after listening to a talk from a Nobel Laureate, you can eat two full-service cafs, go to spin class, or visit the full-service primary care clinic, all without leaving our campus.
Living in East Tennessee:
Its easy to overlook everything East Tennessee has to offer if you havent had the opportunity to spend time here. From spending your weekends downtown at Knoxvilles farmers market, the Rhythm n Blooms Music Festival, or the Dogwood Arts Festival, to some of the best hiking, kayaking, and camping in the U.S., not only in Great Smoky Mountains National Park but all over the greater area, East Tennessee has something to offer everyone.
Specific responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Cloud Operations Management technical expertise in cloud methodologies like PaaS/SaaS/IaaS. Design, build, maintain, document and automate technical processes and operations using Azure and AWS. Implement configuration and deployment automation towards improving functionality, availability and manageability of our enterprise cloud offerings. Understanding of Authentication and Authorization, Identity and Access Management. Familiarity of deployments in a hybrid cloud environment including data challenges with solution deployment across multiple clouds. Design, implement, and test DR and business continuity architecture.
- Continuous Improvement provides continually improving set of software and systems engineering practices that provide a frictionless IT environment.
- Accountability and Persistence: Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely and cost-effective results. Expects personal and team performance to be the best and accepts responsibility for mistakes. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done. Ability to work on challenging issues independently or in a team environment.
- Communications - demonstrates excellent interpersonal, written, presentation, leadership, collaboration, facilitation and negotiation skills and the ability to interact with all levels of internal and external stakeholders. Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language. Cultivates strong relationships with industry experts. Strong problem solving, verbal and written communications skills.
- Bachelors degree in business, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, system analysis or related field of study.
- Expertise in Windows operating systems
- Proven cloud computing experience
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (firewalls, load balancers, DNS, DHCP) and various virtualization technologies.
- Advanced degree in business, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, system analysis or related field of study.
- Substantial knowledge of hardware, software, application, data storage, systems engineering
- Active Directory management/deployment
- AWS certifications
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.