Requisition Id 938
Pay Band: R&D Associate Staff Member/Band 2
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation services are available.
The Biomedical Science, Engineering, and Computing (BSEC) Group in the Computational Sciences and Engineering Division (CSED) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is accepting applications for a research staff member in computational science for multiscale modeling of biological and bio-inspired systems. In this role you will have the opportunity to perform modeling, simulations, and analysis of synthetic/experimental/genomics data, all combined with state-of-the-art artificial intelligence (AI) approaches, to elucidate biological structural assemblies, function, and molecular basis of disease.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an interdisciplinary team that performs computing, experiments, and theory, utilizing both the most advanced supercomputing facilities and the worlds most powerful spallation neutron source (SNS) located at ORNL. Our group is committed to conducting research in computational, data, and engineering sciences in the context of biomedical, clinical, and public health disciplines and applying this knowledge to support the nations leading health initiatives.
The position offers a strong potential for growth as an independent scientist with the aim of developing integrated computational tools. The position will be based out of the AI-Driven Biosystems Modeling team. The successful candidate will have access to both the supercomputing facilities and neutron scattering user facilities at the lab.
The qualified candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and apply statistical and machine/deep learning algorithms to integrate modeling and simulation results with experimental observations.
- Conduct long time-scale simulations to investigate biological/bio-inspired systems and interpret using both standard and novel analysis techniques.
- Design and develop new tools for analyzing and interpreting experimental (e.g. neutron/X-ray scattering) and genomics datasets.
- Collaborate with BSEC/CSED scientists on a wide variety of data analytics and architecture research.
- Be a part of a vibrant collaborative research environment that will provide the opportunity to perform cutting-edge research in high-performance computing, using ORNLs Leadership Class Supercomputer.
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports and proposals for internal and external release and represent the organization by giving technical presentations in large public forums.
- Maintain membership in professional, academic, and research organizations.
- Ph.D. in Computational Science (Biology, Physics, Statistics) or related field is required.
- 2+ years of research experience in quantitative sciences such as applied mathematics, computer science, and protein biophysics is required.
- Computational modeling of biological (or equivalent) systems, including genomics data, single-cell cancer gene, and metagenomic analysis.
- Experience in AI techniques, including machine learning and deep learning.
- Familiarity with Python and/or any object-oriented programming language such as C++/Java.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations.
- Experience in molecular dynamics simulations (atomistic, coarse-grained) is desired
- Familiarity in high-performance and parallel computing on shared or distributed memory would be advantageous.
- General knowledge in biophysics, structural biology, and/or experimental characterization methods is a plus.
Tel: (865) 576-4829
Email: THIS EMAIL
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL`s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director`s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
Moving is stressful and expensive, and UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.