Requisition Id 567
Pay Band: Band 2/Research Associate Staff Member
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation services are available.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the United States Department of Energy`s largest science and energy laboratory tasked to provide the United States government agencies and departments with technology and expertise to support national and homeland security needs.
Our diverse capabilities span scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
We invite applications for the position of Computational Scientist in Research Software Engineering within the Computer Science and Mathematics Division (CSMD). The Computer Science and Mathematics Division is ORNL`s premier source of basic and applied research in high-performance computing, applied mathematics, and intelligent systems. Basic and applied research programs are focused on computational sciences, intelligent systems, and information technologies. The division supports research software engineering across the Laboratory by providing expertise for development, evaluation, quality assurance or other needs; by creating a community for software professionals at the Laboratory to connect people, projects, and interested parties; by; by providing training and continuing education opportunities; by providing fair performance evaluation criteria; by recruiting new software engineering talent; and by mentoring students and early career scientists and engineers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to and lead the development of computer and computational science, and applied math projects for a wide range of topics relevant to the mission of the division and Laboratory.
- Contribute to and lead original research including software development, scientific papers, reports and other artifacts.
- Work closely with other computational and domain scientists, and research software engineers to meet their software requirements, address bugs, develop tutorials and documentation, improve quality, address performance issues, and achieve their scientific goals.
- Communicate and work effectively in interdisciplinary teams.
- Maintain and enhance skills in software engineering.
- Participate in the development and delivery of training (formal and informal) on software engineering practices in the context of technical software development.
- PhD and 2+ years of software engineering experience outside of the degree in computer science, applied mathematics, or a related computational science or engineering such as physics, chemistry, or other closely aligned fields.
- 2+ years of experience in modern object-oriented programming languages including C++, Java or Python, outside of the degree.
- Demonstrated software engineering experience in one of the areas mentioned above.
- Mixed educational background, including degrees in both computer science or applied mathematics and computational science or engineering. (For example, an MS in computer science and a PhD in Mechanical Engineering.)
- Expertise in architecting large, complex software system.
- Experience with modern software development methodologies and tools, such as version control systems like Git and Subversion.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- The ability to work on a team in a dynamic group environment as the team meets daily, practices Continuous Integration, collaborates on the source code and has regular deadlines.
- Prior experience developing or contributing to large, complex software systems.
- Experience using multiple languages, including some of the the following: C/C++, Fortran 90 or greater, Java, and Python.
- Experience in high-performance computing and hybrid parallelism using, for example, MPI, OpenMP, and CUDA, and massively parallel HPC environments.
- Demonstrated ability to work with machine and deep learning tools such as Caffe, TensorFlow, and SciKit.
- Activity within the broader open-source software community would be looked upon favorably, but is not required.
- Regular presentations or tutorials at relevant conferences.
- A track-record in developing detailed documentation in multiple formats and experience with documentation generation using tools like Javadoc and Doxygen.
PLEASE NOTE: An open source code sample that may be used for evaluation purposes will be required later in the application process. Your code sample should be related in some way to the subject of this post. It should be object-oriented, contain five or more classes, show a sophisticated understanding of the project and be your sole work to a very high degree (>95%). Ideally the code sample would be made available on GitHub or a similar sharing platform, although submissions by email are fine too.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL`s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director`s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.