Requisition Id 1073
Pay Band: Band 2/Technical Associate Staff Member
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation services are available.
The Computational Urban Sciences Group within the Computational Science and Engineering Division in the Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a Technical Professional to support data engineering needs for the group. The Computational Urban Sciences Group is comprised of a multi-disciplinary set of scientists carrying out applied research at the intersection of computing and complex urban systems in the emerging environment of smart cities, energy infrastructures, a modernizing electric grid, smarter and sustainable mobility, responsive buildings, changing impacts of severe weather and climate, data driven emergency response, and resiliency. The advances are enabled by the growing body of technologies that includes big-data, high-performance computing, modeling and simulation, machine learning, and visualization.
With recent and expected increases in federal funding from the Department of Energy (DOE) and other federal agencies in areas such as modeling and simulation, HPC, mobility, and smart grids, the Urban Computing group is positioned to experience rapid growth. The successful candidate will support researchers in a variety of data processing needs to meet project requirements that span a wide variety of urban applications and includes data from sensors as well as simulation models. The candidate must be comfortable working as part of a tightly integrated team and must be capable of supporting multiple projects simultaneously.
The major duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support all types of data processing needs for multi-disciplinary research in areas related to urban computing (transportation, buildings, energy infrastructures, water, smart grids, urban weather, etc.) across major DOE initiatives
- Develop automated methodologies for data integration and transformation such as data conflation, slicing and dicing, geographic reprojection, and metadata management.
- Support new and ongoing research requiring simulation and modeling
- Support research staff on ongoing projects on all data cleaning, metadata management, characterization, data preparation, and data transformation
- Provide technical support with the implementation of and adherence to Agile processes.
- Masters Degree in computer science, mathematics, geography, civil engineering, computational sciences, geographic information science, urban planning, physics, applied mathematics, environmental sciences, or related interdisciplinary science domains;
- 2+ years of experience in data preparation, data transformation, and workflow optimization.
- Previous experience with geospatial data format
The desired qualifications of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Masters with 4+ years of experience complementary to the mission and purpose of the group
- Thorough understanding of data-driven applications for urban sciences
- Experience with working with a variety of data formats including shapefiles, NetCDF, HDF, CSV, GeoJSON, geodatabases, as well as remote sensed imagery
- Experience with GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS), libraries (GDAL, Proj4, GEOS, GRASS), and databases (PostGIS)
- Experience with working with sensor data from domain science areas with part
- Knowledge of scripting including Python, Matlab, Perl; knowledgeable in Linux
- Agile software engineering experience in code development and testing; knowledge of containerization technologies such as Docker
- Strong social and communication skills and experience in working with multidisciplinary teams.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct: As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL`s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director`s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.