Requisition Id 1146
Pay Band: We are open to hiring at all levels for this position
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation assistance is available for this position.
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a neutron instrument scientist for the nanoscale-ordered materials diffractometer (NOMAD) at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS). NOMAD is a world-class, high-flux, neutron time-of-flight total scattering diffractometer and supports a diverse science community, attracting scientists from all over the world, carrying out research in physical, chemical and materials sciences. More details about the instrument and its science impact can be found at https://neutrons.ornl.gov/nomad.
As a core instrument team member, you will develop a leading scientific program focused on neutron scattering, and champion developments in instrumentation, sample environment, as well as software to help maintain and further develop the performance of the instruments and expand the user base. A key component of your role is to ensure safe operation and user support of the beamline, which includes user assistance as local contact, helping with experimental setup, data acquisition and data analysis. You will have the opportunity to work with users on a wide range of science topics covered by the instrument. It is expected that you pursue your own research program focusing on the neutron scattering capabilities in combination with the world wide unique resources ORNL has to offer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pursue a high-quality personal research program using neutron diffraction, build national and international collaborations, and publish research results in scientific journals.
- Assist users as a local contact for experimental setup, data acquisition, user education as appropriate and will ensure users are provided with analyzable data.
- Attract users from new areas of research, especially related to the topics of your own research efforts, to expand the user community and the impact of neutron scattering in the physical sciences. Champion developments in instrumentation, sample environment, and software to help maintain and further develop the performance of NOMAD and the neutron powder diffractometer suite.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL`s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director`s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related fields
- 2 or more years of relevant Postdoctoral experience (We encourage applications from all levels, and will hire commensurate with years of experience)
- Experience with neutron and/or X-ray PDF, Rietveld and total scattering analysis
- A strong record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- 5 or more years of relevant Postdoctoral experience
- Previous beamline support experience in a neutron or synchrotron x-ray user facility
- Demonstrated ability to work with other technical and scientific support groups
- Demonstrated ability to work with graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and other research scientists from both academia and/or industry
- Experience in design, execution and troubleshooting of experiments
- Experience in developing software or scripts related to total scattering data reduction and/or analysis
- Experience in developing novel sample environment for total scattering
- Please provide a list of publications and a statement of research interests when applying for this position.
- If you are selected for interview, you will be required to submit a minimum of 2 letters of recommendation.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.