Requisition Id 977
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the Department of Energys largest science and energy laboratory and one of the nations leading research institutions. The Commercialization Manager functions as an entrepreneur within ORNL, responsible for driving technology licensing business volume by managing all facets of intellectual property portfolio management including evaluating and selecting inventions with potential commercial value, assisting the ORNL legal team in protecting intellectual property, developing and executing marketing plans and negotiating and executing commercial licenses.
Independently manages all aspects of developing, protecting, marketing and licensing a portfolio or ORNL technologies.
- Evaluates the intellectual property (IP) opportunity of 40-60 new inventions and copyrights per year by working with ORNL inventors and patent agents and external law firms.
- Identifies the commercial opportunities of the intellectual property portfolio by evaluating the commercial applications and markets, estimating market size, and comparing with competing technologies. Outlines licensing plans based on these commercial opportunity evaluations and the patenting strategies.
- Independently selects inventions for patenting and copyrights for assertions based on commercial upside.
- Executes on a marketing strategy for his/her IP portfolio based on the licensing plan.
- Aggressively drives intellectual property business volume by identifying and engaging potential licensees.
- Successfully negotiates terms in license agreements and options, and using the companies business plans, negotiates appropriate due diligence milestones.
- Works in a collaborative team with inventors, sponsors, potential licensees and licensees. Proposes, promotes and/or negotiates solutions or agreements.
- Serves as the primary relationship manager between the ORNL Technology Transfer Office and key research directorates.
- Manages the commercialization of large collaborative efforts such as the DOE Innovation Hubs.
- Assists the Technology Transfer Specialist and inventors with Material Transfer Agreements and Non-Disclosure Agreements.
- Represents ORNL in local, regional, national and international meetings and forums related to his/her technology portfolio or the interests of ORNL.
- Participates in national meetings of licensing associations as speaker, workshop leader, committee member, officer, etc.
Qualifications Required: Masters degree in a physical science, business or engineering discipline is required with a minimum of seven years of experience in technology commercialization. The successful candidate must be highly motivated and able to concurrently manage multiple projects. Must have a demonstrated ability to comprehend complex technical, business and financial issues and the ability to assume responsibility for activities of considerable fiscal significance. Must also have a demonstrated ability to work with scientists and engineers who conduct basic science research and create the necessary bridges between the perspective of scientists and the perspective of potential business partners, understand the values of each party and often serve as translator for the goals of each. Exceptional written, interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills are essential as well as the ability to articulately convey ideas and concepts. Understanding of intellectual property law in the area of patents, copyrights, trade/service marks, and mask works as well as a basic understanding of contract law.
Qualifications Desired: PhD in a physical science. Experience in an academic and/or scientific organizational setting is desired. Involvement in professional organizations, groups and committees dedicated to furthering the transition of scientific/technical developments to the commercial marketplace. Masters degree in business is a plus as is experience in business/new company formation.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DOE clearance.
Measures of Effectiveness:
- Successful negotiation and execution of intellectual property licenses.
- Identification, evaluation and development of robust marketing strategies for technology portfolio.
- Successful management of business responsibilities including patenting costs, oversight of licensee compliance with financial and diligence obligations, and business reporting as required.
- Effective and professional representation of the Technology Transfer Division in outreach to the ORNL research directorates.
- Effective and professional representation of ORNL in local, regional and national entrepreneurial, business and scientific communities.
- Management of commercialization activities and monitor commercialization activities to ensure compliance with Department of Energy and laboratory policies.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.