Requisition Id 1060
Pay Band: Technical Professional 3, Exemp
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation assistance is available for this position.
The Electrical Power Systems Engineer will be responsible for the operation, maintenance and improvement of the SNS electrical power systems that support neutron production and utilization. This role reports to the Electrical and RF Systems Group Leader. Interfaces include Electrical and RF Systems Group members, SNS staff, peers from non-ORNL institutions, ORNL business services, ORNL electrical utilities, vendors and visitors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and improve the SNS electrical power systems that support neutron production and utilization with a goal of zero unplanned downtime
- Attend meetings with engineers, scientists, physicists, and managers to gather electrical power requirements for the SNS accelerator and target beam line instruments
- Administer subcontracts for maintenance and testing of Variable Frequency Drives, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Hot Sticks, and Generator Load Bank Testing
- Coordinate 161kV to 13.8 kV distribution system and Technical Building generator maintenance with the ORNL electrical utilities
- Serve as an ORNL electrical equipment inspector for SNS to certify non-NRTL equipment
- Contribute to the development and execution of the Proton Power Upgrade and Second Target Station projects
- Specify, develop and procure AC distribution systems and components
- Plan and manage AC Distribution maintenance and upgrade activities
- Review and approve design changes that affect the SNS electrical power systems
- Represent SNS at reviews, workshops and conferences
- Develop documentation and procedures for electrical power systems
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements
- You will be expected to be willing to learn new skills and to train others
- The SNS and HFIR facilities are in operation 24 hours per day and 7 days a week year-round. You may be occasionally required to support users and/or facilities during off hours or weekends
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL`s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director`s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- 5 or more years of relevant work experience
- Comprehensive understanding of electrical power distribution systems including:
- 161kV t 13.8kV Switch Gear Operation
- 13.8kV t 4160, 2100 and 480 Substation Operation
- Transfrmers, transmission lines, emergency generator systems, UPS and automatic transfer switch systems
- Familiarity with the selection, operation and maintenance of variable frequency drives, motor starters and motor specifications
- Knowledge of AC power distribution testing and diagnostic systems
- Understanding of the National Electric Code, NFPA 70B and 70E
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical problems
- Skill in troubleshooting and use of standard AC power test equipment
- Must be highly motivated, self-directed and able to work in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- MS in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Professional Engineer certification in the state of Tennessee
- Certification as an International Code Council Commercial Electrical Inspector
- Experience operating and maintaining electrical power systems at a Department of Energy laboratory or large industrial plant
- Familiarity with the Department of Energy Electrical Safety Handbook
- Knowledge of high-power magnet power supplies and pulsed power systems used in accelerators
- Good understanding of power electronics, electromagnetic fields, very high-power semiconductor devices and pulsed power systems exceeding 50 kV
- A strong background in applying electrical safety principles in a setting that includes severe electrical hazards
- Ability to lead a team of engineers, technicians and maintenance crew
- Experience generating documentation for new designs and installation plans
About Neutron Sciences:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States` highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world`s most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.