Requisition Id 1010
Pay Band: R&D Associate Staff Member/Band 2
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation services are available.
The Scientific Data Group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory seeks to hire a highly-motivated Computer Scientist to assist with the research and development of techniques for data analysis and scientific visualization on the most powerful computer system in the world.
The Scientific Data Group conducts research in the analysis and exploration of data, the collection and organization of data, and decisions based on data. Our collaborative work concerns all stages of the scientific life cycle and utilizes computing platforms ranging from the desktop to large clusters and supercomputers. We work on projects ranging from small single discipline efforts to large multi-disciplinary and multi-institution partnerships. Our emphasis is on team work, and it is important for the applicant to show a strong desire to work within a team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities for this position include working closely with the project teams to design, develop, build, manage and maintain visualization and analysis software on high end computing systems. These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct research in methods that enable insight from scientific data using scientific visualization techniques
- Publish and present research results in journals and conferences
- Joint work with other members of the Scientific Data Group and collaborating partners at other government laboratories, universities, and industry
- Active collaboration with project affiliates in industry, academia, and government labs.
- Be part of a vibrant collaborative research environment which will provide the opportunity to perform cutting-edge research in high-performance computing, using ORNLs Leadership Class Supercomputer.
- Maintain membership in professional, academic, and research organizations.
- Supervise and mentor students.
- Participate in proposal development for potential external and internal funding.
- Ph.D. in computer science, computational science, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience with a modern programming languages and experience contributing to software projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills, and strong personal motivation
- Experience with modern software development practices
- Experience with working with GPUs
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL`s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director`s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.