Requisition Id 978
The Renewable Energy Systems Group conducts research, development and analysis in bioenergy and water power systems highlighting viable resource supply, environmental, and socioeconomic sustainability. The group generates foundational data, conducts scientific analyses, and develops models and tools that inform policymakers and stakeholders in the bioenergy and hydropower industries. Research focus areas include sustainability metrics, geospatial mapping of current and potential bioenergy and hydropower resources across the country, and development of early stage technologies to advance production of renewable energy.
The Bioenergy Resource and Engineering Systems team conducts research and analysis that enables development of technologies to transform biomass resources of the U.S. into cost-competitive, high-performance biofuels, bioproducts, and biopower. Designing innovative biomass supply chains to achieve cost, quantity, and quality targets is an important research focus of the BRES team. A position is available for a technical professional staff member to conduct analyses of biomass supply chains for quantifying impacts of system design and operation on feedstock cost, quality, and risk.
- Work closely with ORNL engineers, scientists, and economists to develop, refine, and apply simulation and optimization models for estimating costs, energy use, infrastructure requirements, and labor requirements of biomass supply chains. Such analysis will include any or all the following:
- Develop algorithms to estimate costs and resource requirements of new, innovative biomass preprocessing harvest, storage, preprocessing, and handling technologies
- Calibrate algorithms using field data from academic and industry partners
- Conduct rigorous model verification and validation analysis
- Apply models to gain insight into supply chain performance and critical design criteria
- Advanced degree in industrial engineering, operations research, management science, or related discipline
- At least 5 years of R&D experience in systems modeling, simulation, and optimization
- Experience with ExtendSim or other discrete event modeling software
- Motivated and safety conscious.
- Ability to set priorities, multi-task and adapt to ever changing needs.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.