Requisition Id 886
Overview: We are seeking a Distinguished R&D Staff Member who will focus on nuclear materials science. This position resides in the Nuclear Structural Materials Group in the Materials Science and Technology Division, Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will lead projects in experimental materials science research and development for advanced structural and core component materials for nuclear energy systems. The position is expected to serve as a national and international leader in the pertinent scientific area.
- Conduct experiment-based scientific research with the primary focuses on the effects of neutron irradiation on mechanical and fracture properties of advanced steels and other metallic materials
- Advance scientific understanding on physical and microstructural processes responsible for irradiation-induced mechanical and fracture property changes in structural materials for nuclear energy
- Act as an intellectual leader nationally and internationally in the research field of radiation effects on mechanical properties of nuclear structural materials
- Develop and manage research and development programs for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors as a senior program manager
- Act as a role model for research and program focus staff scientist and mentor peer research staff in early to mid-career stages
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in materials science, nuclear engineering (with materials focus), or a relevant related field
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in scientific research in relevant scientific discipline as an independent research professional or equivalent
- Demonstrated expertise in experimental nuclear materials science
- This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license, which requires U.S. Citizenship or LPR (Lawful Permanent Residence).
- Prior experiences of program development and management with DOE Office of Nuclear Energy and/or Office of Science
- Excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to an international, scientific audience
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license, which requires U.S. Citizenship or LPR (Lawful Permanent Residence).
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to THIS EMAIL . Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.