Requisition Id 828
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security. Our diverse capabilities span a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
The Manufacturing Systems Research (MSR) Group of the Engineering and Transportation Science Division (ETSD) of ORNL has a successful history supporting projects in the manufacturing (additive manufacturing and composites) and robotic (military and production) area. MSR team members have been key participants in projects involving the development of new additive manufacturing technologies (Big Area Additive Manufacturing and Large Scale Metal Additive Manufacturing) as well as demonstrations of the utility of additive manufacturing (development of 3D printed cars, tooling, robotics). Opportunities in these areas are expected to grow over the next few years, requiring additional qualified staff to successfully perform these challenging and nationally important projects.
We are looking hire a mechanical engineer. In this position you will perform design, analysis, and testing of additive manufacturing and robotic components and systems. You will work in a collaborative team environment to create new manufacturing components and systems to support DOEs advanced manufacturing mission.
Job Duties and Responsibilities: Design, analysis, installation, testing, and performance evaluation of robotic and additive manufacturing components and systems as well as demonstration projects based upon additive manufacturing and composites. The work will include integration of mechanical and electronic components into systems, working in close proximity to other mechanical and electrical engineers, material and computer scientists. Team members will have the opportunity to work with minimal supervision and are encouraged to provide input and influence project direction through interaction with project team leadership.
The position requires a BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Science and Mechanics.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Knowledge and proficiency in mechanical design using tools such as SolidWorks for part and assembly design.
- Knowledge and experience in additive manufacturing, specifically how to design components and systems based on additive manufacturing.
- Knowledge of and experience in the application of mechanical models to guide the design and troubleshooting processes. These can range from relatively simple models that can be executed by using software such as Matlab/Labview or very sophisticated models requiring FEA programs such as ANSYS.
- Experience with a multitude of measurement sensor types for measuring acceleration, velocity, displacement, temperature, pressure, and flow. The ability to choose the various sensors required based on knowing the advantages and dis-advantages of each sensor type is needed.
- Ability to assist with assembly of prototype and/or production devices.
- Proficiency with software such as SolidWorks for design and Matlab or Excel that can be used for data analysis and system performance evaluation.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.