Job Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37831
Requisition Id 548
Pay Band: Technical Professional 3, Exempt
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation services are available for this position.
US ITER is a ten year, ~$4 Billion, Department of Energy multi-laboratory project that executes the United States (US) contributions to ITER for the US. The US is a non-host partner in the seven-member international collaboration to design and construct, in France, a fusion device aimed at establishing the scientific and technological feasibility of fusion energy. Among its contributions, the US is responsible for the design, fabrication, acceptance testing, and delivery of the Tokamak Cooling Water System (TCWS). Find out more about this exciting project on the web: https://www.usiter.org/. |
US ITER is seeking an experienced engineer with a background in the design, specification, and procurement of equipment for plant systems, particularly cooling water equipment. In this role you will have the opportunity to manage and provide oversight of manufacturing contracts of various sizes. You will also interface with vendors, engineering personnel within the US ITER project and personnel at the ITER headquarters in France. You will report to the TCWS Team Lead. Your authority and approval levels include providing work direction to group members within guidelines established by the TCWS Team Lead. You will also approve manufacturing plan milestones and hold points as agreed by engineering and QA personnel. You may serve the role of Control Account Manager (CAM), Technical Project Officer (TPO), or both for specific procurement contracts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write technical specifications and contribute to drawing production associated with the assembly of the ITER TCWS
- Write and revise statements of work, technical specifications, and procurement description documents for procured hardware
- Participate in technical review of TCWS final design documents and drawings including Process Flow Diagrams, Control/Logic Diagrams, Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, Technical Specifications, analysis, calculations, and other design documentation
- Procurement Support - Participate in the review of proposal and selection of vendors, utilizing best value methodology, for procurements within your purview
- Schedule, assign and direct the daily activities of a cross functional team of engineers and designers within the TCWS team, to include US ITER QA and Procurement support.
- Manufacturing Oversight - Provide technical fabrication oversight for the contracts within your purview
- Project Management - Oversee the management of fabrication contracts with industry for TCWS components
- Configuration Management - Maintain control of documentation (requirements, design, procurement, etc.) of TCWS components design through the fabrication phase
- Evaluate fabrication deviation requests and non-conformances from industrial suppliers
- Specify US ITER intervention points (hold points, witness points, customer inspections) during fabrication and participate/oversee these activities
- Foreign and domestic travel to fabricators, support subcontractors, and sponsor (IO) facilities is required
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related technical field)
- 5 or more years of related work experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered instead of a BS degree
- Specialized experience in design, fabrication and assembly of large scale fusion energy, research related, or nuclear hardware
- Demonstrated ability to independently evaluate problems, investigate and propose solutions, perform calculations, apply industry codes and standards, and document design and fabrication activities
- Demonstrated ability to influence your environment to successfully achieve project goals, utilize project management tools to support execution of project scope, interface effectively with management, and interface effectively with vendors and fabricators
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Advanced Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related technical field)
- 10 or more years of specialized experience in design, fabrication and assembly of large scale fusion energy, research related, or nuclear hardware
- Familiarity with European and French codes, standards, and regulatory requirements, especially those for pressure equipment, rotating, and electrical equipment
- Familiarity with U.S. codes and standards for design and construction (ASME Section VIII, Div 2; B31.3, API)
- Experience in the commercial nuclear industry and/or with fusion research and development
- Experience working in an international environment
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-verify Employer.