Requisition Id 808
The ORNL Nuclear Fuel Materials Group is looking for a highly-motivated individual to join their research team working on development and qualification of nuclear fuels and materials. The successful candidate will technically lead and coordinate all aspects of experiment preparation and execution through the ORNL nuclear infrastructure including the execution of HFIR irradiations, cask shipments, hot cell deconsolidation and post irradiation examinations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work within the nuclear fuel materials related programs to develop appropriate test plans for program driven experimental goals
- Secure resources and coordinate an efficient experiment design and build effort drawing on competencies across the laboratory
- Ensure appropriate experiment QA documentation
- Planning and tracking of experiment insertion, removal, shipment and disassembly
- Developing tools and equipment for post irradiation handling and examination of materials
- Compilation of preparation, testing and, post irradiation examination data for programmatic reporting
- A Master of Science degree in nuclear engineering, material science, or closely related field
- Two years of experience with experiment design and execution
- Familiarity and working knowledge of radiation transport code (ex. MCNP)
- Experience working in a radiological facility and operating knowledge of the related equipment for post-irradiation handling and experimentation
- Ability to maintain accurate and complete records of material irradiation experiments with excellent planning, time management, and organizational skills are necessary
- Must have excellent English language oral and written communication skills to support regular interactions with fellow technical and research staff and help prepare internal reports and external publications.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.