Requisition Id 639
The Department of Energy Manufacturing Demonstration Facility and the Machining and Machine Tool Research Group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) are seeking distinguished research and development staff to lead projects in the development, design, use, and analysis of machine tools for manufacturing applications including additive and subtractive operations.
The selected candidate will:
- Assist in the design, development, fabrication and testing of new prototype machine tool components and systems used in the manufacturing industry.
- Assist in the testing, modification, and optimal use of existing machine tool components and systems used in the manufacturing industry.
- Collaborate with a team including material scientists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, computer scientists and others from industry, academia and other national labs on the development of these systems.
- Help in the development of new defense systems (including ground, surface, subsurface, air systems) using advanced manufacturing techniques, equipment and systems.
- Help in the development of new energy systems (including nuclear, fossil, renewable power generation) using advanced manufacturing techniques, equipment, and systems.
The position requires:
- A Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering with experience in the testing and use of machine tools and systems.
- A strong track record of research and publication related to advanced manufacturing, machine tools, and systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to support regular interactions with sponsors, peer reviewers, and others and to prepare reports, proposals, publications and journal articles are required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to support team building and leadership are required.
- Some activities may require export control and/or national security interests. Therefore, U.S. citizenship is strongly preferred and at minimum green card status is required.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.