Requisition Id 641
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security. Our diverse capabilities span a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
We are looking for highly motivated applicants with expertise in research and development (R&D) for nuclear reactor analysis. We have an opening for an early career research scientist in the Reactor Physics (RP) Group within the Reactor and Nuclear Systems Division (RNSD), Nuclear Science and Engineering Directorate. The RP Group develops and applies state-of-the-art modeling and simulation capabilities to lattice physics, reactor core, spent fuel, and fuel cycle applications through leadership in the development of SCALE and Virtual Environment for Reactor Applications (VERA) and in collaboration with industry, national laboratories, and university researchers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, optimization, and performance analysis of light-water and advanced reactor performance using VERA, SCALE, and MCNP
- Collaboration with nuclear industry professionals on the effective use of VERA or SCALE for commercial applications
- Analysis of experiment design and operational performance for the High-Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR) in collaboration with the experimental programs and the Research Reactor Division
- Confirmatory analysis assessments to enable the efficient regulatory review of reactor/fuel concepts and operational changes at nuclear power plants for the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- Fuel cycle analysis to evaluate the financial and safety impact of various reactor/fuel concepts or optimization provided by the use of advanced reactor modeling software
- Individual and collaborative R&D for specific challenges and communication of the technical aspects of the work performed through publications and presentations
- Effective interaction with technical peers, program managers, and sponsors domestically and internationally to meet the requirements of projects within scope, schedule, and budget
- Development of leadership skills through contributions to organizational goals and through mentoring of interns and post-graduate researchers
- Contribution to the identification and development of research proposals through work with project sponsors and cross-institutional collaborators
- This position requires a PhD in nuclear engineering with a dissertation related to neutronics or reactor analysis and two years of post-graduate experience
- Knowledge of nuclear reactor analysis R&D as demonstrated through research and associated publications. Candidates must have a strong publication record.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal, presentation, and writing skills
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
- Experience with reactor and nuclear system operational and fuel cycle performance
- Familiarity with a wide range of reactor systems and concepts
- Familiarity with fuel cycle analysis or financial assessments for nuclear systems
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.