Requisition Id 622
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security. Our diverse capabilities span a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
The Reactor Physics (RP) Group within the Reactor and Nuclear Systems Division, Nuclear Science and Engineering Directorate, seeks a highly motivated entry-level applicant for an Assistant Research & Development (R&D) position with emphasis in nuclear cross section data processing and reactor physics applications. The RP Group develops and applies state-of-the-art modeling and simulation capabilities to lattice physics, reactor core, spent fuel, and fuel cycle applications through leadership in the development of SCALE and Virtual Environment for Reactor Applications (VERA) and in collaboration with industry, national laboratories, and university researchers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generation of multigroup cross sections for advanced and light-water reactor applications
- Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis of nuclear cross section data and their impact on reactor performance and safety
- Criticality and depletion analysis calculations for optimization and safety assessments of reactor concepts
- Performing individual and collaborative R&D for specific challenges and communicating the technical aspects of the work performed through publications and presentations
- Effective interaction with technical peers, program managers, and sponsors domestically and internationally to meet the requirements of projects within scope, schedule, and budget
- Development of leadership skills through contributions to organizational goals and through mentoring of summer intern researchers
- This position requires a PhD in engineering or physics with experience that includes working with nuclear cross section generation using AMPX, NJOY, a Monte Carlo code, or equivalent
- Knowledge of nuclear cross section generation theory and/or application as demonstrated through work experience and publications
- Experience with criticality or depletion analyses for reactor systems as demonstrated through work experience and publications
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal, presentation, and writing skills
- This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
- MS in nuclear engineering
- Knowledge and working experience with the nuclear cross section generation and theory in the ORNL SCALE code system
- Working experience with the AMPX cross section generation package in SCALE.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email THIS EMAIL .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.