Job #: 38756
Title: Herd Manager (KH-8693)
Job Location: Marcy, New York - United States
Salary: $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
Other Compensation: Health Insurance + Paid Holidays + Paid Sick Days + Paid Vacation + Retirement
Employer Will Recruit From: Worldwide
Relocation Paid?: Negotiable
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Herd Manager position - New York
$60,000 - $70,000 JOB DESCRIPTION
A large dairy located in New York who is searching for an experienced, hands-on Herd Manager with strong management and leadership skills to assist in overseeing the daily operation. The Herd Manager will be responsible for the health, reproduction and production of the herd and for the employees that work directly with the herd.
- Dairy Staff Scheduling, Training, and Supervision. Herd, Feeding, Milking, Manure Barn, Maternity, Calf, Bedding, and Maintenance. Herd Manager will work closely with employees to schedule daily work routines. Effectively delegate work and responsibility to the employees to help insure the professional growth of each employee as well as efficient labor use of all staff. Act as a team leader and provide training to employees to ensure they perform their duties safely, efficiently, and effectively. Participate in the evaluation of performance for employees. Help develop and monitor procedures and protocols to be established across the dairy. Provide positive re-enforcement for satisfactory performance and redirection for areas of performance shortcomings. Develop agendas and lead staff meetings and Participate in the hiring, on-boarding, and termination of employees.
- Caring for all cattle including: Vaccinating and dry-off of cattle. Routine sorting and moving of cattle from barn to barn and/or group to group. Pregnancy check, synchronization and heat detection programs, and cattle breeding. Reading aerobic culture plates and assigning and performing mastitis treatments. Hoof trimming and footbath programs. Observation of cattle for heats, sickness, lameness, mastitis, or any abnormality and treating according to established protocols. Sick and fresh cow programs which includes temperatures, observation, analysis, palpating, and checking for DAs. Maintain cow identification tagging. Feed, water, and milk down animals. Fill-in for herd staff days off/vacation.On call occasionally for night emergency.
- Herd Management responsibilities include: Manage herd health, milk production, and reproduction. Monitor and address any deficiencies in the cow environment ventilation and cooling, bedding, feed and water availability, stocking density, manure scraping, and cleanliness. Monitor parlor and barns for facilities or equipment needing maintenance and repair and assign and train maintenance staff in repair methods. Monitor feed bunk management, commodity shed cleanliness and management, and feed inventories. Utilize EZ Feed to enter ration and dry matter changes and to adjust feed amounts for heifers and far off dry cows. Utilize Dairy Comp for herd management and maintain herd production records. Recommend culling decisions. Work with contract heifer grower on health, growth, reproduction goals, and heifer movements. Create and update management spreadsheets. Communicate regularly with owners on progress towards goals and areas of opportunity. Order supplies and maintain inventories.
- Operation of small equipment. Skid loader for pushing up feed and moving down cows. Other duties as assigned.
MUST HAVE CURRENT DAIRY EXPERIENCE TO BE CONSIDER FOR THIS POSITION
- High school graduate or GED required.
- Associates or bachelors degree in animal science preferred.
- Employee supervision, management, training, and scheduling experience.
- Understanding of factors that influence cattle health, reproduction, growth, and production.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Dairy Comp, and feed management software.
- Experience with AI breeding and synchronization programs.
- Cattle observation, physical exam, and diagnostic skills.
- Previous experience working with cows including, heat detection, sickness, lameness, and treatments.
- Ability to operate farm machinery.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
- Inventory / Supplies experience
- Computer skills
- Record keeping skills
High School/Secondary School
How to Apply: