Job #: 34919
Title: Research and Development Scientist
Job Location: , Minnesota - United States
Salary: contact recruiter for details
Other Compensation: Bonus
Employer Will Recruit From: Nationwide
Relocation Paid?: Yes
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
We have recently been engaged by a leading biotechnology company that offer a full array of microbiology supplies including stains & reagents, rapid test kits, QC controls, lyophilized bacterial and fungal cultures, as well as custom manufactured products. They primarily cater to the diagnostic and biopharma research markets and have been a leader in their space since the 1970s. While established and have a global reach, they remain nimble, innovative, and operate privately and have not lost their charm. As they continue to grow, they require a Research and Development Scientist JOB DESCRIPTION
Research and Development Scientist
Lab-based scientist that develops knowledge and technical capabilities that drive product innovation through independent design, performance and report of experiments using molecular or microbiology techniques. Generally required to apply education and work experience to conduct focused research and product testing thoughtfully, collaboratively and efficiently with high integrity.
- Develops biomaterials (microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, bacteriophage, viruses and parasites), cell lines, nucleic acids and proteins) that may be used as controls for diagnostic tests used in clinical diagnostics, pharmaceutical, and food safety testing.
- Isolate and scale cultures of biomaterials for investigation and manufacturing of controls
- Develop molecular assays for quantification of biomaterials
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend innovative solutions for preserving biomaterials that reduce dependency of cold-chain shipping and storage.
- Document research to support new product design controls including validations, verifications, scale up and tech transfer to manufacturing,
- Support Technical Service by conducting evaluations and troubleshooting.
- Conducts assessments on new technologies that may enhance products or lead to manufacturing efficiencies.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in multiple technical disciplines including molecular biology, genomics, and/ diagnostics.
- Maintains an up-to-date understanding of test methods and emerging trends within our markets.
- Collaborate with other functional units including Technology Transfer, Production and QC, and Sales and Marketing to advance new products though the new product introduction process.
- Mentor other employees on techniques and experimental design and interpretation.
- May serve on external committees and industry groups that support company mission, author standards, white papers, blogs and give podium/workshop presentations as needed.
- Write, review, train on new department SOPs/update existing department SOPs as necessary.
- Perform maintenance per General Maintenance Schedule when applicable
- Understand and support company focus on customer-oriented satisfaction.
- Collaborate, support, and communicate on a regular basis with project teams and members of other functional areas.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Observe all company policies, rules, and safety practices.
- Perform other duties within the R&D department or other areas as assigned.
- May serve as support staff for other departments during periods of high demand.
The tasks of this position generally require duties to be performed by:
- Occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds to above shoulder height unaccompanied.
- Regularly stand/walk or sit for duration of shift.
- Occasionally required to stoop, climb, or balance.
- Coordinated use of hands and fingers to grasp, feel objects, transfer small items from one hand to another, fine manipulation, and bilateral reach with arms.
- Use of close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Color vision (must pass color blindness test)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- D. in Bacteriology, Molecular Biology, Virology, Biochemistry or similar.
- 5+ years of experience with laboratory experience working with multiple isolates of bacteria, viruses, cell lines.
- Experience with molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid isolation and quantitation (qPCR, dd-PCR), cloning, primer/probe design for multiplex assays.
- Experience with microbiology techniques including microbial culture, enumeration, isolation, identification
- Other desired experience includes
- Experience with genomics methods including instrumentation, protocols, and bioinformatics analysis
- Demonstrated ability to plan complex research studies that support short and long-term corporate strategic plans.
- Experience leading research or implementation groups to successful completion of projects(s).
- Ability to work in multi-location, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to read and comprehend work instructions, policies/procedures, and memos.
- Ability to write short correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work with and understand numbers and numerical sequences.
- Strong knowledge or arithmetic, algebra, statistics and their applications.
- Ability to multi-task and shift prioritization.
- Strong project management, time management and organization skills.
- Demonstrate good judgment and leadership skills.
- Strong aptitude for independent and critical thinking.
- Intermediate knowledge of internet programs and the Microsoft Office programs including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Outlook.
D. in Bacteriology, Molecular Biology, Virology, Biochemistry or similar.
Mol Bio expertise with microorganisms
Experience with diverse microorganisms not exclusive to E coli.
Experince with Viruses, anaerobes, mycoplasma, culturing challenging organisms
Experience with molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid isolation and quantitation (qPCR, dd-PCR), cloning, primer/probe design for multiplex assays
University - PhD
How to Apply: