Job #: 34751
Title: Virology Scientist
Job Location: San Diego, California - United States
Salary: contact recruiter for details
Other Compensation: Bonus
Employer Will Recruit From: Nationwide
Relocation Paid?: Yes
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
We have recently been engaged by a leading biotechnology company that offer a full array of microbiology supplies including stains & reagents, rapid test kits, QC controls, lyophilized bacterial and fungal cultures, as well as custom manufactured products. They primarily cater to the research, diagnostic, and vaccine communities, providing specialized viral reagents including live virus preparations. This location specializes in upper respiratory viruses, especially influenzas, RSV, CMV as well as adenovirus, herpes viruses, phage and many other human viruses. While established and have a global reach, they remain nimble, innovative, and operate privately and have not lost their charm. As they continue to grow, they require a Virology Scientist. JOB DESCRIPTION
Virology Scientist - San Diego
We are seeking a Virology Scientist with experience in virus propagation and cell-based assays. This candidate would be responsible for performing fulfillment of virus production requests and assist in developing a pipeline of new viral related products and capabilities by independently designing, performing, and reporting experiments using virology and molecular biology techniques. Also responsible for performing a variety of viral assays employing molecular and immunological techniques. Representative projects in BSL-2 and BSL-3 include: Virus growth and purification, virus titration assays and antiviral assays. Experience with several virus systems including HIV, Herpesviruses and respiratory viruses is preferred.
- Culturing of cell lines including primary and transformed cell lines
- Virus propagation and purification in BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratory settings of taxonomically diverse viruses.
- Development of new virus system pipelines including HIV and vector-borne viruses.
- Design and perform cell-based assays including virus titration by TCID50, viral plaque assays, and focus forming units.
- Perform antiviral compound assays including IC50, neutralization, plaque reduction assays and hemagglutination inhibition assays.
- Impact recombinant virus and mammalian cell host design and engineering.
- Improvement of mid-scale viral production at BSL-2 and BSL-3 level
- Identifying, evaluating and validating new technologies for measuring virus and viral components with accurate and precise concentrations.
- Document research using GLP standards to support new product design controls including validations, verifications, scale up and tech transfer to manufacturing, as well as technical and customer support departments. Utilize statistical analysis.
- Prepare reports with assay and production data. Present data to wide audience.
- Serve as subject matter expert in multiple technical disciplines including virology, molecular biology, genomics, and/ diagnostics.
- Work Collaboratively with other functional units including Technology Transfer, Production and QC, and Sales and Marketing to uncover new technologies and commercial opportunities and advance new products seamlessly.
- Understand and support the focus on customer-oriented satisfaction.
- Assist with R&D projects during periods of high demand.
- Perform maintenance per General Maintenance Schedule when applicable.
- Perform other duties within the R&D department or other areas as assigned.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Observe all company policies, rules, and safety practices.
- May serve as support staff for other departments during periods of high demand.
The tasks of this position generally require duties to be performed by:
- Requires a medical clearance via occupational health for a BioSafety Level 3 labs
- Occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds to waist height
- Regularly stand or sit for duration of shift.
- Occasionally required to stoop, climb, or balance.
- Coordinated use of hands and fingers to grasp, feel objects, transfer small items from one hand to another, fine manipulation, and bilateral reach with arms.
- Use of close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Color vision (must pass color blindness test)
- BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratory
- Normal office environment.
- Regularly work with others.
- The noise level in the laboratory, office is generally quiet.
- Regularly required to work with or around chemicals.
- Work area may be wet/dirty.
- Occasionally exposed to cold conditions (walk in coolers/freezers).
- Regularly works near moving mechanical parts.
The Candidate they seek will be proficient with virus growth and cell based assays and will also perform virus production requests and development of new viral related products using virology and molecular biology techniques. The ideal Candidate will have experience with virus growth and purification virus titration and antiviral assays. This will be a Scientist whom has experience with several virus systems that might include respiratory, HIV, and or other research with human viruses.
University - PhD
How to Apply: