Job #: 24980
Title: State and Local Tax Manager (of Senior Manager)
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts - United States
Salary: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
Other Compensation: Open depending on experience
Employer Will Recruit From: Local
Relocation Paid?: NO
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Our client is one of the fastest growing accounting firms in New England. Due to their continued growth, they are seeking an State and Local Tax Manager (Senior Manager) to join our team. This position can be located ineither their downtown Boston office, Waltham office or Providence, RI office. Our client is ranked as one of the top one hundred accounting and business consulting firms in the United States and operates five (5) offices in MA and RI and has more than 250 professionals.
As a (Sr.) Manager on the SALT Team, you will utilize your educational background as well as your organizational skills as you work on clients of the Firm. The State and Local Manager who will be primarily responsible for all aspect of our clients state and local corporate income/franchise tax needs. This role requires that the candidate be a subject matter specialist. The candidate must possess strong knowledge of multi-state tax issues and a general understanding of all states tax schemes, including differing sales factor sourcing rules and the basic mechanics of each states income and franchise tax calculations. As the candidate will assume the role as the top-ranked state and local tax specialist for the firm and/or our clients outsourced tax departments, he/she must have the knowledge, experience, and ability to make correct decisions and conclusions related to state and local tax matters without supervision or review. In addition, depending on the level of complexity related to the project or calculations at issue, the candidate will be required to prepare substantial amounts of workbooks, calculations, memorandums, etc., without the assistance of support staff or managers.
- Initiate, monitor, and deliver tax compliance and advisory services in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare and/or review all Income Tax Provisions related to state issue, including State Rate and FIN48 calculations.
- Draft technical memoranda, including FIN48, sales sourcing, and nexus memoranda.
- Create and/or review multi-state Apportionment Schedules for provision and tax return purposes.
- Review corporate income tax returns prepared on behalf of our clients under all states, cities and local taxes.
- Provide tax controversy representation primarily with the California Franchise Tax Board but, also to a limited degree, for other states.
- Identify, design, and implement tax planning strategies to minimize taxes and reduce tax compliance burdens.
- Lead in conference calls with clients, the Big 4 and other accounting and law firms, as the firms State and Local Tax specialist.
- Monitor changes in state laws, including changes in apportionment formulas, sales factor sourcing rules, combined versus separate states, consolidated elections, waters-edge and worldwide elections, state DRDs, and state rates. Update the firms apportionment schedule templates and other multi-state charts on an annual basis.
- Draft and post internal SALT Alerts related to information and/or updates relevant to our clients and practice.
- Conduct nexus analysis and nexus planning.
- Assist with day-to-day state and local tax matters that may arise.
- Manage projects to ensure technically-accurate products and high-quality deliverables are presented to clients.
- Manage projects within budgetary and time constraints while providing a high-level of client satisfaction.
- Ensure complete communication with client and firm personnel.
- Build client relationships and demonstrate knowledge of client business.
- Participate in the mentoring and development of team members
- Help to develop and guide staff by providing effective performance feedback and ensuring team responsibilities are consistent with skills and developmental goals.
- Be actively involved in and a positive influence on team recruiting, development, training, and retention.
- Provide firm leadership through example, including always adhering to firm policies.
- Build on technical competence by keeping up to date on trends and developments. Demonstrate deep technical expertise in state and local tax compliance and consulting.
- Demonstrate professionalism through a positive and cooperative attitude and by maintaining the confidential nature of client relationships and related work products.
- Continuously work toward the goals and objectives established in your professional development plan
- Contribute to the overall success of the team by developing a thorough understanding of KLR methodologies and tools to enhance service delivery; keeping team members informed of work status and proactively seeking opportunities to provide tax services.
- Effectively manage firm resources. This includes a book of business, KLR professional staff, and firm assets.
- Recognize opportunities to provide additional service to existing clients.
- Assist in firm administrative functions as assigned by the Partners.
- Bachelor of Accountancy or equivalent degree
- Active CPA or State Bar license in his/her home state.
- Masters of Accountancy, a Masters of Taxation, or a Juris Doctor is preferred.
- 6+ years of experience with at least one year of Management experience in the public accounting environment.
- Strong MS Office skills including Excel and Word
- Strong presentation and communication skills
University - Bachelor`s Degree/3-4 Year Degree
How to Apply: