See all jobs in Kansas City MO
Job Location: Kansas City, MO
Job Type: Full-Time
Follows standard McCownGordon procedures and policies to accomplish the following:
- Leads the collaborative process with Project Managers and Estimating team to ensure a smooth and efficient pre-construction process.
- Determines the best approaches and strategies to prepare the most efficient and economical budgets by reviewing the project documents, including the Request for Proposal (RFP), bid documents, and other related information.
- Develops complete proposal packages, including estimates with appropriate breakouts, schedules, clarifications and finish schedules, options & value engineering, and other applicable components. Ensures complete estimates from the conceptual stage through the final construction documents.
- Establishes General Conditions by working with the Senior Project Manager and/or creating a schedule for the project. Reviews with the appropriate Operations Group and/or Division Estimator.
- Oversees quantity updates provided by Project Estimators and Estimators by reviewing, spot-checking, and verifying accuracy of information.
- Defines un-designed scope items with the Projects Estimators and Estimators to be quantified and priced.
- Prepares complete conceptual estimates, including what is required to build a complete project with limited plans and/or design.
- Visits project site and takes a detailed photographic review of the site and/or building.
- Takes notes of items of interest from the site and shares with team.
- Actively engages with suppliers and subcontractors to determine if they are bidding on a project.
- Develops subcontractor solicitation lists and shares with the rest of the project team to get to know the market.
- Develops Scopes of Work to convey to the design team what has been included in the proposal/pricing.
- Reviews, finalizes, and approves bid tab sheets provided by the Estimating team for the subcontractor bid process.
- Proactively ensures that materials are available for the project and included in bids by coordinating with the subcontractor market and suppliers.
- Verifies with subcontractors prior to bidding available manpower, schedule, and phasing requirements.
- Completes review of the project specifications and plans, including the front-end documents.
- Discusses risk items associated with the project with the team and proposes solutions on ways to mitigate the risk.
- Reviews, finalizes, and approves project schedules and milestones prepared by the project team.
- Reviews and confirms schedule with subcontractors and material vendors to ensure materials and manpower is available to meet the clients or McCownGordons schedule.
Quantity Take Off
- Completes or verifies the quantity survey to provide an accurate estimate.
- Applies appropriate waste factors to project quantities based upon appropriate measures and industry standards.
- Completes or verifies the quantity survey in On-Screen Take Off or other industry methods and organizes data accordingly.
- Reads and incorporates the appropriate information from the documents (i.e. plans, specs, addenda) for items to be quantified, priced and included in the proposal. Relays pertinent information to the project team.
- Reviews, compiles and updates clarifications as appropriate for each budget update and/or bid.
- Reviews and completes the pricing of the options/value engineering list prepared by the team.
- Resolves issues resulting from cost budget changes or other changes by providing applicable value engineering options, thoughts and ideas.
- Verifies, generates, and updates options/VE pricing.
- Completes the estimate in Timberline Estimating, as started by the Estimating team.
- Sorts the estimate as required by the contract or as requested by the project team.
- Reviews the established cost reports with the project team, as prepared by the Estimating team. Incorporates comments from the team at the end of the review.
- Reviews and posts addendum to documents.
- Develops subcontractor bid lists by reviewing with the team and keeping abreast of the local subcontractor market.
- Compiles questions and discusses with architect and client in written communication format.
- Develops positive relationships with Clients, Architects, Subcontractors, and Engineers through proactive communication and regular contact.
- Verifies subcontractor qualifications (e.g. technical, workload, insurance, bonding, etc.).
- Develops relationships with the MBE/WBE community by proactively communicating with them and serving as a point of contact. Establishes and tracks MBE/WBE best faith efforts for appropriate projects.
Associate Leadership and Development
- Trains new and less-experienced associates by working with them one-on-one to learn Estimating procedures and company methods.
- Mentors new associates by setting expectations, reviewing work, giving constructive feedback, and answering questions.
- Communicates regularly with associate(s) regarding expectations, goals, and performance, including semi-annual performance reviews and regular feedback throughout the year.
- Bachelors Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Proficiency in computer applications, including Timberline Estimating, On-Screen Take Off, MS Project, Microsoft Office applications, and any other company standard software appropriate for the position.
- Proven track record of proactive approach to issues/management.
- Track record of establishing and maintaining a budget.
- Demonstrated success in working effectively with subcontractor market and A/E teams.
- Demonstrated ability to take a leadership role on estimating projects from start to finish.
- Demonstrated ability to delegate, mentor, and lead associates.
The position requires work in an office environment.
Note: This job description reflects a summary of the job and does not prescribe or restrict the responsibilities that may be assigned. The job description is subject to change at any time.
HOW TO APPLY: