Variable Data Programmer
Pre-Media Chicago, IL
Prepare graphic files for print across all packaging print platforms while maintaining the integrity of the content art, design and brand. Responsible for image processing, including retouching, page makeup, file formatting, silhouettes, trapping, air brushing, color corrections and related operations. Create image proofs and make file revisions as needed. May create impositions to process jobs for press.
Excellent understanding of design and typography and the process of creating a publication through all its phases from concept through printing. Very good experience in Macintosh desktop publishing (including such software such as QuarkXpress, InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator) is required. Demonstrated talent as a designer, including an understanding of the need to balance function and visual appearance to achieve successful communication. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required. Requires knowledge of complex, multi-faceted design techniques. Excellent knowledge of printing techniques and knowledge of production issues. Able to understand and compile cost estimates for creative projects. Excellent skill in operation of cutting edge technology to provide client with effective creative products and image files. Able to understand client requirement and solve highly technical design problems and meet expectations while remaining in budget for creative assignments.
- Receive and confirm all project required data & graphic assets are available, proactively requesting any missing components.
- Coordinate with Customer Service and Data Programming teams to map variable information and images into a page layout in order to produce signoff documents matching clients design.
- Read and interpret instructions contained in the job ticket to write programming logic and data transformations in GMC Inspire Designer.
- Create additional scripts to accommodate conditional tasks.
- Convert and manipulate graphics required for a project.
- Follow supplied style guides for page layout.
- Write documentation for ongoing or automation projects that will be used by junior programmers to run production jobs.
- Spool outputs to appropriate imaging devices, such as: inkjet, monochrome laser, color laser.
- Communicate with project management about status of work and any issues with work in progress.
- Strong attention to detail and quality.
- Lead and mentor other programmers.
RRD is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience with GMC Inspire Designer
- Thorough understanding of data flows
- Proficiency using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Pit Stop
- Have functional knowledge of font characteristics with MAC or PC OS
- Ability to manipulate and process images, color management is a plus
- Experience with barcode technologies including 2D symbologies
- Working knowledge of various data formats, such as: text, xml, databases, ms-office
- Working knowledge of various graphic formats, such as: pdf, tiff, bmp, jpg
- Knowledge of USPS Postal Regulations and address formatting
- Ability to work well in a team in a fast paced environment
- Willingness to learn new skills and collaborate with others
For challenging and rewarding career opportunities with an innovative industry leader, consider RR Donnelley. RR Donnelley provides communications and consultative business services to a who’s who of US and international clients. A FORTUNE 500 company with locations around the world, RR Donnelley produces printed and digital communications. You probably touch our products almost every day. With a reputation for excellence built over 145 years plus a portfolio of patents and breakthrough new products, RR Donnelley is building for a strong future.
We are a business-to-business company offering opportunities in a variety of disciplines. RR Donnelley is strongly committed to setting ambitious goals, rewarding performance, and providing opportunities for personal and professional growth. We offer competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RR Donnelley is an EEO/AA Employer