Accounting & Finance Accounting Supervisor Houston, TX
RRDs Supply Chain and Fulfillment location in Houston is looking for an Accounting leader. This position will oversee a small team and work closely with all Finance team members. This position requires job costing experience in a manufacturing environment, variance analysis, and strong ERP and Microsoft experience.
The Accounting Supervisor will work closely with all Finance team members to manage accounting functions including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cost Accounting, Tax Preparation/Audits, Financial Audits, and meet Corporate Reporting Requirements/Deadlines. Review and reconcile general ledger accounts and perform other accounting related activities. Provide record of assets, liabilities and other financial transactions. Balance books periodically and prepare income statement and balance sheet. Plan, conduct, and participate in basic analysis of cost assignments, ensuring that all assigned projects adhere to accepted cost accounting standards and review manufacturing variances. Assist with analysis of income statements and balance sheets to identify trends and interpret for senior management. Prepare management reports that measure performance against key objectives and strategies.
Work is typically performed under no supervision, with only guidance about overall goals and objectives. Usually receive minimal to no guidance about how to complete work objectives. Must be able to define work based on evaluation of short term and long term goals of the department. Able to independently evaluate processes, identify areas of improvement, and incorporate in to overall work objectives.
- Analyze accounts, records, reports, accounts receivable and payable, journal vouchers, general and subsidiary ledgers and other accounting documents for accuracy and completeness. Investigate and resolve accounting problems for the area of responsibility. Oversee daily transactions, including accounts payable/receivable, general ledger, cost accounting and bank transactions/reconciliations.
- Manage month-end closing (3 day close).
- Preparing monthly financial information utilizing the applicable support systems. Duties include preparing journal entries, coding invoices/vouchers, reconciling the balance sheet and analyzing variances.
- Perform analyses of cost records to ascertain distribution of costs for various divisions of management and production.
- Classify labor, material, and overhead costs to compute unit costs of products or services.
- Analyze actual costs versus standard costs and prepares reports of variances to include recommendations to senior management. Compile cost data for preparation of operating budgets.
- Prepare other reports and assist in special projects and analysis as required or requested by supervisor.
- Assist in annual budget preparation and periodic forecasts. Analyze past data and use analytical tools to forecast future trends.
- Monitor daily performance of the Finance department and assist with performance reviews.
- Track progress of financial and accounting objectives.
- Support internal customers by researching questions and investigating variances on the financial statements.
- Serve as subject matter resource to management and accounting staff regarding accounting related transactions, regulations, issues, and/or variances.
- Establish accounting policies and procedures as needed and to align with company targets.
- Maintain updated accounting records and prepare organized financial data for management review.
- Work closely with Operations to ensure accurate forecast projections and inventory
- Mentor and assist junior level accountants with application of accounting practices and adherence to GAAP.
- Ensure proper retention, filing, and handling of accounting records.
- Review and approve balance sheet reconciliations.
- Liaise with external auditors to facilitate audits of financial statements.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
The duties and responsibilities described above are the essential functions of the job. The qualifications below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance. Supervisory experience a plus. Experience with JD Edwards E1 preferred.
- Able to apply broad work experience and knowledge when analyzing complex problems. Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail and accuracy. Must be able consistently identify critical elements, variables and alternatives to develop solutions. Must be able to organize/prioritize existing resources and incorporate new information, as needed, to implement the most effective solutions.
- Team management skills.
- Able to communicate clearly and professionally with those who need to know of decisions/actions/problems.
- Able to apply excellent business acumen and collaborative skills when resolving problems.
- Strong computer skills, MS Excel in particular (managing spreadsheets, creating charts and using advanced formulas).
- Able to mentor junior level team members in the use of tools and/or systems in the position.
- Self directed with ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with multiple deadlines and ability to prioritize work.
RRD is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer
For challenging and rewarding career opportunities with an innovative industry leader, consider RR Donnelley. RR Donnelley provides communications and consultative business services to a who’s who of US and international clients. A FORTUNE 500 company with locations around the world, RR Donnelley produces printed and digital communications. You probably touch our products almost every day. With a reputation for excellence built over 145 years plus a portfolio of patents and breakthrough new products, RR Donnelley is building for a strong future.
We are a business-to-business company offering opportunities in a variety of disciplines. RR Donnelley is strongly committed to setting ambitious goals, rewarding performance, and providing opportunities for personal and professional growth. We offer competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RR Donnelley is an EEO/AA Employer