See all jobs in Houston TX
Job Location: Houston, TX
WHAT YOU BECOME
TAKE YOUR CAREER UPWARD!!!
Our Sous Chefs are individuals who have a passion for creating authentic connections with team-members, guests, vendors, and our communities. Sous Chefs are relentless in pursuing operational excellence and achieving desired results. They enjoy mentoring other team members and investing time in developing clear career pathways. They have intellectual humility and understand the best solutions come from collaboration and open communication from all team members.
WHO WE ARE
We are a restaurant group that thrives on creating authentic and inspiring experiences for the communities we serve. Through the contributions of countless incredible people, past and present, we're headed to the moon with a simple mission - to make people feel good.
Be your true self and courageous to represent your believes while being coachable and open to feedback.
Do the right thing always. Be accountable and trustworthy.
Bring passion for hospitality to every shift. We love smiles and positivity.
Be part of a winning team that is committed to delivering hospitality at the highest level.
We take pride in the pursuit to be the best, but we can only do that as a collaborative team.
WHAT YOU DO
The primary responsibility of this position is to assist the Executive Chef in providing quality food in a timely and efficient manner while directing kitchen employees to maintain company standards in quality, cleanliness, and sanitation. This position is responsible for the resources of the company directly and indirectly related to the kitchen.
Specific Job Duties
- Supervises the production of quality products which meet company recipe specifications and timing standards.
- Delegates to the kitchen staff the responsibilities to complete preparation, cleanliness, sanitation of kitchen products and services.
- Conducts a daily assessment of product that is on hand, par levels (according to forecasts and trends), and determines the amount of product needed for preparation and execution of service..
- Places orders for product in a timely, efficient, and financially responsible manner while minimizing shortages or issues regarding access to needed product for service.
- Consistently completes the tasting of products as assigned daily while ensuring the proper holding, cooling, and cooking temperatures. Inspects storage, rotation, and handling of food and beverage products within the kitchen. Actively pursues solutions to correct any issues observed or known.
- Demonstrates a confident command of knowledge regarding kitchen products and services and ensures staff knows, demonstrates, and communicates products confidently.
- Understands and practices the components of what is involved in providing financial accuracy of sales records, expenses, and inventories through proactively researching, reviewing, correcting discrepancies, and maximizing profitability of kitchen products.
- Supervises the proper cleanliness, organization, rotation, and storage of walk-ins, reach-ins, and other food storage areas. Maintains the facility by establishing, following, and enforcing safety, security, and sanitation standards while complying with health regulations and maintaining security systems when applicable.
- Responsible for providing and completing pre-shift meetings on a daily basis.
- Inspires and mentors the kitchen staff through training and development while playing an active role in showing, telling, and practicing these concepts with the staff. Oversees expected completion and use of training materials.
- As assigned by the Executive Chef this position may be responsible for organizing, creating, and communicating scheduling for the kitchen staff according to past sales, trends, events..
- Actively cross training of positions within the kitchen to improve the flexibility and versatility of the staff.
- Recruits, refers, interviews, and completes the hiring process for potential candidates.
- Provides coaching and feedback to staff on a daily basis. Documents conversations, identifies appropriate behaviors, and provides expectations to each kitchen job position..
- Involved in developing and communicating hourly kitchen employee performance reviews, salary increases.
- Maintains proper professional conduct and uniform appearance of all team members.
- Promotes a supportive, respectful and inclusive work environment.
- Continually stays aware of trends in the industry and actively pursues information to improve performance and implements solutions from them.
- Welcomes new team-members and actively provides optimistic and helpful coaching from all team members.
- Follows company policies and standards and holds staff accountable to do the same.
- Keeps all chemicals labeled and updated in GHS MSDS. Recognizes employee hazards and reports them to the general manager.
Experience and Education
- The position requires 1 year of full-service restaurant Kitchen Manager experience or 3-5 years of service industry management experience. Internal candidates must be in good standing and free of performance issues within 1-year time-period. Combined work experience and education will be considered in decisions.
- Associate's degree in Culinary, Hospitality, Management, or Business preferred.
- State Food Handler's Management Certification is required
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.