Dan Schantz Farm & Greenhouses, LLC has an immediate opportunity for an entry-level Assistant Production Manager. Our Zionsville Production Department is gearing up for our next busy season and looking for a confident, can-do personality who has an eagerness to learn. The ideal candidate would truly enjoy working in a commercial greenhouse production environment and be motivated to progress with the company. Opportunity for advancement is available for someone with initiative and proven performance!
Please read over the description below and check out our website to get to know us a bit more before you apply. We truly want to be a fit for you and your career goals! Our company strives to create a safe, productive and fun work environment where we value one another and work together to achieve our mission. We offer a variety of benefits to our full-time team members including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and vacation pay. Be sure to state your desired salary with your application. A range is fine! Compensation is discussed at the interview stage. Cover letters are highly encouraged.
The Assistant Production Manager is responsible for overseeing production lines and tasks and supervising crew leaders and workers to accomplish production goals. Our company has a very hands-on approach to leading our teams. Upon completion of orientation and training for specific job duties, Assistant Production Managers are expected to oversee the work as well as do the work to achieve daily production goals.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare supplies such as pots, tags, UPC labels, and plant materials
- Make sure production lines are set up daily and work begins on time
- Survey work area daily to identify and correct any potential hazards prior to job start
- Assist in placement of workers at the production line
- Inspect the plantings and ensure they are planted at proper depth and location according to crop plans
- Confirm correct UPC labels and tags are placed on the pots and with the planted product
- Record plantings at the production line
- Apprentice with Production Manager to learn operation of planting line equipment, robotic transplanter, and machinery for sticking cuttings
- Once trained, handle operation of planting lines and equipment as needed and coordinate with management and maintenance to promptly solve any issues
- Operate power industrial trucks and drive straight trucks on property as needed
- Ensure all tasks are performed safely and efficiently according to best practice and standard operating procedures
- Maintain work areas and perform general housekeeping to provide clean and safe work environment
Qualifications or skills needed:
- Some experience supervising employees in a greenhouse production environment preferred
- Strong attention to detail and organization
- Computer skills necessary in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to effectively communicate, lead others, make good decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Basic mechanical aptitude with problem-solving mindset required
- Self-motivated, positive attitude and work ethic
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be reliable and punctual
- Ability to read and write English bilingual a HUGE plus!
Applicants must be able to:
- Operate equipment, including forklift and pallet jacks
- Drive straight truck (on property)
- Stand and walk for long periods of time each day
- Lift, carry, move 25+ pounds
- Push, pull, maneuver rolling greenhouse shipping carts
- Work in greenhouse environment with varying temperatures, noise levels, dirt, dust, and other possible allergens
This is a full-time, year-round position and work hours vary seasonally. Generally, hours are Monday to Friday from 7:30 am to 4 or 5 pm with MANDATORY Saturdays during March, April, May, and June. Saturday work starts at 7:30 am and typically ends between 12 pm and 4 pm. Additional Saturday work hours may be required during other months of the year as well.
Assistant Production Managers can expect to work about 40 to 53 hours per week depending on the time of year. Our work week is Sunday to Saturday with pay date the following Thursday.