As an Admissions Nurse your primary task is to complete the admissions process for incoming hospice patients. You would also educate potential patients, their family members and their caregivers on the benefits of hospice and help guide them at a very difficult time.
If you enjoy engaging with patients and families, educating them and guiding them during a difficult time, then this position might be right for you. Its not just a job, its a calling and it requires the right kind of person with a unique set of skills.
Starting salary for the Admissions Nurse RN is typically between $28.75 to $32.75 with a sign on bonus. (Recent graduates may start out lower.)
Responsibilities of the Admissions Nurse include:
- Determines if the patient meets criteria for admission into the hospice program through means of visual contact, interviewing the patient and family, and obtaining a medical history through one-on-one contact with the patient and chart review, if appropriate;
- Completes the initial assessment of the admissions process to address the immediate care needs of the patient/family;
- Completes admission and transfer process with patients and families including the explaining hospice services, insurance benefits, and completing required paperwork and all required consents as appropriate;
- Provides education and support related to symptom management and the physical aspects of End of Life care for the patient/family/caregiver and/or facility team as appropriate;
- Communicates patient/family/caregiver immediate needs and significant IDG Care Plan issues to patients assigned RNCM and on call staff as appropriate; and
- Consults with the physician for appropriate orders and assists in obtaining needed supplies, equipment, medications and /or other available services.
Qualifications for the Admissions Nurse include:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and current Registered Nurse (RN) licensure in the State of Michigan;
- Two years of recent clinical experience is preferred, however recent nursing school graduates are also encouraged to apply. Homecare or hospice experience desired; and
- Sound clinical judgment.
- Knowledge and/or experience in pain symptom management with end of life care.
The Admissions Nurse position is full-time fully benefited position, which includes:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance;
- Life and disability insurance;
- A 401k with match;
- Paid time off;
- Paid holidays;
- Continuing education assistance;
- Mileage; and
- Cell phone reimbursement.
Hospice of Holland is a financially strong non-profit organization deeply committed to providing the best care for hospice patients and their families. The Admissions Nurse plays a critical role in that mission.
Monday through Friday. The base hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.. Staff may end earlier if no lunch is taken and any admission is done. Staff may work later if they need to complete an admission. Currently, no on-call is required, however if a need occurs, staff are expected to rotate through until the position is filled.