The Dietary Manager is responsible for overseeing the operations of the Dietary Services Department. Responsible for management of dietary staff as well as oversight in the planning, preparation and serving of nutritious food for patients, staff and visitors and ensuring all patrons of Mid Valley Hospital receive the highest standard of food service. Plan, implement, and evaluate policies, procedures and methods for food preparation, sanitation, safety standards and food service quality assurance. Assures compliance with internal infection control standards and applicable Department of Health and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid regulations.
Oversees the preparation of meals for patients according to patient/dietary needs.
Oversees the preparation of meals for scheduled meetings as requested by Administration.
Meals will be prepared per physician's orders.
Meals must be presented to appeal to patients, families and staff.
Assures a safe environment for food preparation and service including compliance with regulatory agencies including, but not limited to, Department of Health and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services as they apply to Food and Nutrition and Infection Control.
Ensures the kitchen is always stocked with nourishing food and all supplies needed are available.
Ensures the kitchen is cleaned and maintained each day per internal policies and DOH, CMS standards.
Appropriately plan, direct, supervise and coordinate activities of Dietary Department to provide dietetic service for patients, visitors and hospital employees as necessary.
Establish departmental regulations and procedures in conformance with administrative policies and develops standards for organization and supervision of dietary service; recommends or institutes changes in techniques or procedures to ensure an efficient operation.
Develop and implement work standards, sanitation procedures and personal hygiene requirements consistent with institutional rules; local State and Federal regulations; and food handling principles.
Adheres and oversees dietary staff for compliance with the Infection Control Policy-Infection Control (Dietary) Policy Stat ID: 4557650.
Prepares monthly meal counts and any other required statistical data in a timely manner to Fiscal.
Develop and implement policies and procedures governing handling and storage of supplies and equipment.
Inspects prepared food to ensure adherence to specifications, observing appearance, quantity and temperature and sampling the food to estimate its palatability.
Establish effective relationships with medical staff, nursing and other patient care services; regularly cooperates with the medical staff in planning, preparing and serving special diets.
Adheres to Mid Valley Hospital's Cash Receipt Policy.
Patient trays inspected regularly to ensure modified diets receive proper meals.
Maintain adequate inventory levels, control and monitor outdates to minimize waste.
Plans basic menus considering such factors as variety, season of the year, availability of foods, known food preferences of the group, nutritional and caloric content and food costs.
Appropriately estimates number of people to be served and computes quantity of food to be prepared to ensure that individual portions will be in conformance with dietetic standards and to ensure minimal food waste.
Makes frequent inspections of all food preparation and serving areas, equipment and storage facilities and personal habits of staff to detect deviations and violations of current health regulations governing dietary activities; orders corrective measures as necessary.
Directs orientation and training of dietary personnel to ensure the most effective utilization of individual skills and employee development, within guidelines established by the bargaining unit contract.
Appropriately performs analysis and appraisal of personnel requirements to avoid over staffing; maintains a professional, courteous staff.
Maintains job descriptions, organization charts, training manuals and guidebooks covering all phases of departmental operations for use by employees. Job descriptions/goals must be completed in a timely manner.
Prepares work schedules, in accordance with bargaining unit guidelines, to ensure adequate coverage for the department.
Reviews and approves employee requests for paid time off and responds to requests in a timely manner.
Reviews and approves employee time cards according to established procedures; ensures accuracy of hours presented for payment.
Conducts timely, accurate employee evaluations; initiates, recommends and approves personnel actions, such as hiring, transfers, promotions and termination's in accordance with the bargaining unit contract and administrative policy.
Takes corrective action as necessary and in a timely manner to avoid recurrence of inappropriate behavior; appropriately counsels employees demonstrating unsatisfactory performance.
Regularly reviews the assignments of each dietary worker to ensure an even distribution of work throughout the department.
Remains familiar with the terms, conditions of, and amendments to, the bargaining unit contract to ensure compliance.
Reviews the position description with each employee to ensure that each employee fully understands the performance expectations of their position; encourages performance within designated standards and regularly reviews the assignments of each dietary worker to ensure an even distribution of work throughout the department.
Serves on various hospital committees as directed by the Chief Financial Officer
Attends scheduled hospital managers' meetings and communicates information to dietary staff regarding new developments and trends; conducts staff meetings on a regular basis to keep staff abreast of policy/procedure changes and upcoming events; maintains a departmental communications book.
Complies with facility cost control system; actively participates in the annual department budget; manages department budget within facility expenditure plan; reviews all supply orders and makes final determination of supplies and equipment needed.
With Dietician, develop and participate in hospital wide Quality Improvement program in accordance with hospital policies and procedures and department staff are oriented and participate in same.
Observe, maintain and participate in maintaining compliance with the infection control program and practices according to hospital policy and procedure. Ensures all department personnel are oriented and participates in same.
- Greets all patients, visitors, physicians, and other staff members in a courteous, respectful and professional manner at all time. Responds to all patients with empathy and positive interpersonal skills at all times.
- 2. Reports for scheduled shift on time and prepared to assume responsibilities.
- Reports to work in proper uniform/attire.
- Leaves for meal break on time and returns on time.
- Varies work schedule to meet the needs of the department.
- Ensures the department manager has approved all scheduled overtime.
- Seek supervisor approval before working beyond scheduled hours that will result in overtime.
- Schedules all time off with supervisor's approval.
- Strictly adheres to hospital attendance/tardiness policies 100% of the time.
- Performs all duties as assigned.
- Wears I.D. badge in a visible location at all times on hospital property.
- Protects I.D. and access badge and reports any issues or loss immediately to supervisor or to the Human Resource Department.
3. Attends and participates in meetings and is responsible for information communicated at meetings and in email.
- Attends all mandatory in service on a timely basis as scheduled.
- Participates as an active team member at staff meetings.
- Reads communications and acts upon in a positive and informative manner.
4. Identifies own educational needs and maintains appropriate skill level through educational opportunities.
5. Exercise a commitment to practicing behaviors that are in agreement with the spirit of cooperation and reflect the values described in the Code of Mutual Respect and Professionalism.
6. Assists all patients, family members, physicians, visitors, and employees in a professional and courteous manner.
- Extends special attention and sensitivity to all patients, visitors, physicians, and fellow employees.
- Actively promote diversity and inclusion across organization for both patients and coworkers while avoiding any language or actions considered to be discriminatory or derogatory regarding race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.
- Assists in maintaining an atmosphere of cooperation and teamwork with other departments and community partners.
- Demonstrates a genuine willingness to prevent or resolve inter-personal conflicts.
- Demonstrates the ability to participate in and/or implement team decisions.
- Adheres to HIPAA and all applicable privacy laws at all times, only sharing information on a need to know basis.
7. Follows Infection Control procedures at all times.
- Clinical Personnel: Strictly adheres to standard precautions by adhering to the usage of personal protective equipment when handling blood or body fluids.
- Non-Clinical Personnel: Washes hands and other skin surfaces with soap and water thoroughly and often in an effort to control spreading of germs within the department and facility.
- Adheres to isolation procedures at all times as applicable.
8. Adheres to the following environmental care standards.
- Demonstrates adequate knowledge of safety policies and procedures, the use of MSDS sheets, hazardous material procedures, and safety codes.
- Code Blue, Code Gray, Code Silver, Code Amber, Code Red, Code Orange, Rapid Response Team
- Demonstrates adequate knowledge of security issues, i.e. personal protection, protection of personal and hospital property.
9. Be familiar with and comply with the Mid-Valley Hospital & Clinic Personnel Handbook and Policies.
10. Be familiar with the collective bargaining agreement (Union Contract) of the UFCW 21 and Mid-Valley Hospital.
11. Demonstrates the ability to adapt to varied age-specific patient populations.
- Non-Clinical Personnel: This position has no responsibility for the assessment, treatment, or care of patients. However, the ability to communicate and interact with patients of all ages is required.
Mid-Valley Hospital is a licensed 44-bed acute care facility located in Okanogan, County. The working environment is generally pleasant and moderately dynamic, fluctuating with patient activity. Working hours vary depending on the shift, and inpatient census.
The duties and accountabilities of the Dietary Manager are clearly defined in this position description. The individual in this position is given the latitude to perform their job duties in a thorough manner, while remaining within the scope of their authority. The individual in this position is given limited authority to organize the routine of specified tasks, but should bring significant questions or recommendations to the Chief Financial Officer.
This position directly supervises the dietary staff.
The major challenge of this position is to ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures and outside regulations imposed by the Washington State Department of Health and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services as they relate to Food and Nutrition.
Communicates effectively with peers, vendors and the public in kind. Interacts effectively with patients, family members and visitors, being courteous and respectful, responding to empathy and complying with requests in a positive manner. Cooperates with staff to promote a team effort and maintain positive working relationships. Adapts to change in a positive, professional manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED/PREFERRED:
High School Diploma required with at least 5-7 years' experience in Food Services Management in a healthcare setting.
Certified Dietary Manager Certification required.
ServSafe Certification required.
Computer Proficiency required.
Bachelor's Degree in related field (i.e. nutrition, food science, hotel/restaurant management), preferred.
Registered Dietitian, preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Minimum Reasoning ability usually associated with this classification:
o Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations.
Minimum Math ability usually associated with this classification:
o Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure; to perform the four operations with like or common decimal fractions; to compute ratio, rate, and percent; to draw and interpret bar graphs; to perform arithmetic operations involving All-American monetary units.
Minimum Language ability usually associated with this classification:
o Read: Ability to read a variety of novels, magazines, atlases, and encyclopedias; to read safety rules, instructions in the use and maintenance of shop tools and equipment, and methods and procedures in mechanical drawing and layout work.
o Write: Ability to write reports and essays with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech.
o Speak: Ability to speak before audience with poise, voice control, and confidence, using correct English and well-modulated voice.
Amount of training, either on-the-job or formal education, usually associated with this occupation in addition to the Reasoning, Math and Language abilities detailed above.
Degree of Physical Demands (Strength) usually associated with the essential functions of this classification:
o May requires lifting up to ten (10) pounds frequently and occasionally up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
Type of Physical Demands usually associated with the essential functions of this classification: Reaching, Handling, Fingering, and/or Feeling: (Reaching - Extending the hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction). (Handling - Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands (fingering not involved)). (Fingering - Picking, pinching, or otherwise working with fingers primarily (rather than with whole hand or arm as in handling)). (Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects such as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of receptors in skin, particularly those of fingertips). Talking and/or Hearing: (Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word). (Hearing - Perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Seeing: The ability to perceive the nature of objects by the eye. The important aspects of vision are:
o Acuity, far - Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more.
o Acuity, near - Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
o Depth Perception - Three-dimensional vision. Ability to judge distance and space relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are.
o Field of Vision - Area that can be seen up and down or to right or left while eyes are fixed on a given point.
o Accommodation - Adjustment of lens of eye to bring an object into sharp focus. This item is especially important when doing near-point work at varying distances from eye.
o Color Vision - Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
Environmental Conditions (Physical Surroundings) usually associated with this classification:
o The Worker is Subject to Inside Environmental Conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
Environmental Conditions (Hazards) usually associated with this classification:
o Exposure to cleaning chemicals, hot foods, food odors, heating elements, small equipment, and scalding hot liquid.
Machines, tools, equipment, and work aids which may be representative, but not all inclusive, of those commonly associated with this type of work include:
o Must be familiar with all standard Commercial Dietary Equipment
WAGE AND COMPENSATION
Wage range $40,000 - $60,000 a year- DOE
Mid Valley Hospital also offers a generous compensation package with vacation, sick leave, life insurance and a profit sharing plan. We also offer the opportunity of a low cost out of pocket medical, dental and vision insurance plan as well as 403(b) investments.