- A Pipe Fitter is responsible for the fabrication, fitting, assembly, installation, inspection, and testing of complex piping systems at various stages of the production process.
- Planning, laying out, assembly and fitting of pipe, pipe spools, tubes and fittings such as elbows, tees, valves, hoses, gauges, and related pumps/equipment using blueprints while maintaining alignment tolerances.
- Installing outfit items such as pumps, strainers, valve actuators, gauges, hoses, expansion joints, etc.
- Cut and bore holes in structures, such as bulkheads, decks, and inner-bottom for pipe installation, using hand and power tools.
- Attach pipes to structures and fixtures, such bulkheads, decks, and inner-bottom using brackets, clamps, hangers or by welding.
- Measure, mark, cut, bevel and thread piping.
- Alignment of spools, pipe and components using chain falls and other equipment.
- Inspect, examine, and test installed pipe systems or segments using pressure gauges, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other methods.
- Quality checking completed items.
- Ability to follow instructions, written and/or verbal, with little or no supervision.
- Other typical duties performed by a pipe fitter.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills along with advanced blueprint reading skills.
- Able to read a tape measure (standard and metric);
- Have working experience using a hand torch, grinder, pipe threading machine, hydraulic and ratchet jacks along with chain falls and come-a-longs.
- Working knowledge and understanding in the use of hand tools such as squares, roll templates, hand levels and plumb bobs used in a marine construction environment.
- Capable of utilizing various beveling and burning equipment.
- Able to layout, fit, erect, and fabricate components with little or no supervision.
- A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated ability as a Pipe Fitter.
- Must be able to able to successfully pass the Pipe Fitter written and practical tests.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
- High school diploma or GED
- Standing-Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Walking- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Turning, twisting, bending and stooping- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Pushing and Pulling- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Reaching, forward and reaching overhead- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Climbing- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Balancing, fingering, feeling, talking, hearing and seeing-These are all considered normal physical duties/requirements and would be needed /required to work in this industrial environment is a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifting-Able to lift 50#.
- Access- Ability to enter a 24 diameter access hole and step over 24 high threshold.
- 80 to 90% of the work activities are performed outdoors. Individuals will be required to work in changes of temperature, hot, cold, humid, wet and dry conditions; dust, mud, etc., along with other conditions in an industrial work environment.