GENERAL FUNCTION:A structural fitter is responsible for the fitting, assembly and erection of metal components at various stages in the production process.
- Planning, laying out and fitting metal components, such as plate stiffeners, stiffened panels, bulkheads, and frames using blueprints or templates and tools while maintaining alignment tolerances.
- Locating and marking reference lines, such as center, buttock, and frame lines.
- Alignment of parts in relation to each other, using jacks, turnbuckles, clips, wedges, and mauls.
- Setting, fitting and erecting of structural assemblies and modules within alignment tolerances.
- Installing structural foundations and outfit items such as doors, hatches, brackets, and clips.
- May tack weld panels, bulkhead, assemblies, clips and brackets.
- May roll, bend, flange, cut, and shape plates, beams, and other metal parts using shop machinery, such as iron workers, plate rolls, presses, and press brakes.
- Ability to follow instructions, written and/or verbal, with little or no supervision.
- Performing other related job duties as assigned in a safe and efficient manner; also, please see physical requirements.
- Other typical duties performed by a fitter.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills along with advanced blueprint reading skills.
- Capable of operating a grinder and passing a tack welding assessment test.
- Able to read a tape measure (standard and metric);
- Have working experience using a hand torch, hydraulic and ratchet jacks along with chain falls and come-a-longs.
- Working knowledge and understanding in the use of hand tools such as combination squares, framing squares, hand levels and plumb bobs used in a marine construction environment.
- Capable of utilizing various beveling and burning equipment.
- Able to layout, fit, erect, and fabricate components with little or no supervision.
- A minimum of 4 years of demonstrated ability as a fitter in a production environment.
- Must be able to able to successfully pass the fitter 1 written and practical tests.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & TRAINING:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Standing-Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Walking- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Turning, twisting, bending and stooping- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Pushing and Pulling- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Reaching, forward and reaching overhead- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Climbing- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Balancing, fingering, feeling, talking, hearing and seeing-These are all considered normal physical duties/requirements and would be needed /required to work in this industrial environment is a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifting-Able to lift 50#.
- Access- Ability to enter a 24 diameter access hole and step over 24 high threshold.
- 80 to 90% of the work activities are performed outdoors. Individuals will be required to work in changes of temperature, hot, cold, humid, wet and dry conditions; dust, mud, etc., along with other conditions in an industrial work environment.