HAI Group is the nations leading property-casualty insurance company founded by and dedicated to affordable housing. While we are recognized as a pioneer of affordable housing insurance programs, insurance is not our only strength. We protect, preserve, and promote the sustainability of affordable housing with an array of products and services that support the challenges housing organizations face. Besides insurance, we offer research, advocacy, and online training that is relied on by more than 1,500 housing organizations nationwide. Headquartered in Cheshire, Connecticut, HAI Group was recognized as a Top Workplace in 2020.
HAI Group contributes to a culture that creates a safe and healthy working environment and a space of inclusiveness and belonging for all by: exceeding our customers expectations, working collaboratively across the organization, embracing diversity, and demonstrating mutual respect.
The Information Technology Department works closely with internal and external business partners using their subject matter expertise to strategically invest in information systems and infrastructure across the enterprise. Flexible and adaptive to customer needs, the Information Technology Team takes a broad view of the HAI Group enterprise; contributing research and development to strengthen and add value to business operations. Information Technology develops its team in both the technical and leadership career paths to support customers while meeting the development needs of the team. Highly responsive, the team continually explores best practices and their application to growing the HAI Group enterprise.
The Lead Software Developer creates complex technical solutions to meet the needs of the HAI Group enterprise. With a resolute focus on the customer and his/her business needs, The Lead Software Developer works with the end-user and the Information Technology Team to help identify, prioritize and plan application support efforts. Knowledgeable about best practices, the Lead Software Developer will collaborate with other technical leads to develop architecture and strategy. The Lead Software Developer will be instrumental in implementing the application strategy to new and existing applications; providing direction, motivation and inspiration to other members of the development team. As a subject matter expert in the application field, he/she resolves problems with existing applications, as well as analyzes and introduces new approaches. The Lead Software Developer coaches and is a mentor to the development staff keeping him/her-self updated on the technology trends and best practices providing support to the operation.
Skills and Requirements
- Analyze business requirements along with technical strategy to create application design and coding specifications.
- Team player; builds trusting relationships throughout the organization
- Communication (questioning/listening) and responding clearly (verbal and written)
- Provide technical/analytical direction and support to other members of the development team.
- Ability to lead design and implement technical solutions
- Develop, test and implement new applications, enhancements to existing applications, and resolution of problems to support HAI Group customers.
- Estimate and plan development efforts as requested providing input on the teams work prioritization.
- Design database models and objects to support application requirements; fine tune applications and databases to resolve performance problems.
- Keep current with technological developments related to application development.
- Strong system design skills. Solid understanding of loosely coupled designs and the ability to evolve existing systems.
- Decision making; ability to assess all business and technical inputs
- Simultaneously handles multiple tasks of moderate (to large complexity)
- Quickly adjusts to changing priories and responds with a sense of urgency
- Curious how work applies to the business
- Seeks out best practices, applies learnings to designs and mentor others on technology and practices.
- Bachelors Degree in computer science or related field, preferred.
- 5+ years experience in application development within a web-based environment, required.
- 1+ years acting as a team leader of developers
- Minimum five years experience with Microsoft SQL Server, or other relational database
- Minimum five years experience with Microsoft C# .Net
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM, preferred
- Application development methodologies and principles, including object-oriented, unit-testing, GUI, SOA application design
- Relational database modeling and object development
- Experience integrating different systems and platforms
- Understanding of SSIS (or other ETL tool), desirable
- Working within an Agile framework (SAFe framework desirable)
- Experience with Azure, Sharepoint, desirable
- Use of Atlassian collaboration tools
- Property and casualty insurance business, desirable
HAI Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.