SPARGO, Inc. is a full-service event management company, offering a suite of services that support the production of trade shows, conventions, conferences, symposiums and seminars.
This position is responsible for managing the full life cycle of meeting planning for assigned clients. The individual must be detail-oriented, proactive, and capable of working independently and as part of a team. Strong organizational, project management, and communication skills are required. This position reports to the Associate Director, Meeting Logistics or Senior Meetings Manager.
(Employees must be able to commute to the Fairfax, Virginia office regularly. We understand that the pandemic has compromised much of the way we do business, but for legal and tax purposes, SPARGO is only registered for Employees in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (in order of importance):
- Coordinate and execute all phases of meeting planning for assigned meetings ranging from 500 attendees to 1,500 attendees including but not limited to:
- issuing RFPs through contract negotiation;
- budget preparation,
- monitoring and reconciliation;
- facility/venue and vendor management;
- gridding meeting space and coordinating space requests from staff and affiliates;
- reviewing/approving BEOs and resume/event plan from facility.
- Communicate with clients, facilities and vendors on a regular basis via email, conference calls and face to face meetings.
- Create, manage, and adhere to detailed planning timelines.
- Prepare detailed and accurate meeting specifications and other documents necessary for the advanced planning and onsite execution of assigned meetings.
- Collaborate internally with other SPARGO departments, i.e., registration, housing and exhibit sales/operations, to successfully execute full-service client meetings.
- Travel on behalf of SPARGO as required for site visits and onsite execution of meetings.
- Train Meeting Specialists and Meeting Coordinators.
- Maintain historical files for all assigned meetings including final budget recap, function book, and post-show notes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications (computer & communication skills, training, certification, etc.):
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Experience with databases (Access preferred) is helpful.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational/project management, and communication skills are essential with a focus on the ability to work independently; the capacity to handle competing tasks in a fast-paced environment; the aptitude to effectively monitor and report on deliverables; and the ability to remain positive and productive in demanding situations.
- Diligent work habits and continual attention to detail in composing, editing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines. Superior business writing skills, excellent judgement, and professional discretion with information is required.
- Demonstrated tact and diplomacy skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels, both internally and externally with clients and vendors.
- Team player with the ability to collaborate effectively with others, share ideas, and assist other department members on projects as needed.
- Highly skilled at conflict resolution, problem solving, and tactfully providing recommendations and advice to assigned clients.
Education and/or Experience:
- BA or BS degree preferred.
- Minimum 3+ years experience in planning, negotiating, coordinating and executing association and/or corporate meetings up to 1,500 attendees.
- CMP a plus, but not required.
- Direct work experience planning multiple meetings per year, simultaneously.
- Experience working with associations preferred.
- Familiarity with medical meetings a plus.
- Approximately 25%.
- During site visits and the onsite execution of meetings, early morning and evening hours as well as weekends may be required.
- During high volume planning periods, longer hours may be required.