Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world's energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
We're changing the world. Let us start with yours.
First Solar's manufacturing operations seeks candidates who believe in our mission of providing cost-advantaged solar technology through innovation, customer engagement, industry leadership and operational excellence. First Solar's manufacturing engineering team works together to continuously improve product performance and yield, equipment performance and cost reduction in the manufacturing plants. They are responsible for installing and qualifying equipment and processes for plant expansions and implementing new technology across our global manufacturing plants.
The manufacturing engineering team looks for individuals who enjoy contributing to an innovative, forward-thinking team, are effective problem solvers, data and results driven and continuously look for ways to improve processes to help us lead the world's sustainable energy future.
Basic Job Functions:
Install and qualify new process equipment. Troubleshoot day-to-day manufacturing issues on the production line in a timely manner. These include; tool down issues, yield, quality issues and identify actions to prevent repeat issues. Identify and/or implement system improvements that contribute to the achievement of throughput, yield and product performance goals.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Develop, continuously improve, and document robust solar module manufacturing processes to achieve the highest product performance in a cost efficient manner
- Inject manufacturing requirements to new process development by working with development team
- Design and execute experiments to establish manufacturing process window
- Responsible for solving day-to-day production, equipment, and process problems
- Evaluate, Install and Qualify new equipment
- Design and execute planned process experiments, collect and analyze data and report experimental results
- Responsible for data collection relating to daily equipment performance and associated product performance
- Responsible to interface with internal associates and supplier representatives as required to complete assigned projects
- Maintain effective communication with production associates and manufacturing engineers
- Set up new gauges and perform Gauge maintenance
- Develop and provide training to other engineers, engineering technicians, and production associates
- Champion continuous improvement activities using six-sigma and other statistical problem-solving methods
- Provide mentorship to Jr. engineers and Technicians
- Develop Process Control Plans and Preventive Maintenance Plans
- Develop and maintain drawings, process specifications, develop and enforce standard operating procedures
- Perform data collection relating to daily equipment performance and associated product performance
- Works with minimal supervision
- Adhere to all safety procedures and good housekeeping standards
- Domestic and International travel as required
- Demonstrated Proficiency in Statistical Data Analysis
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Demonstrated Proficiency Metrology and measurement best practices
- Demonstrated Proficiency in writing complete manufacturing documentation
- Understands and can apply Design of Experiments
- Demonstrated Proficiency in applying Statistical Process Control)
- Structured Problem Solving Method (such as DMAIC)
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated proficiency in generating and maintaining FMEAs
- Demonstrated capability to train operators, technicians, and new engineers
- Ability to work autonomously to achieve goals
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Process or equipment engineering experience in the areas of thin-film deposition processes (Magnetron Sputtering, CVD, evaporation) OR thermal processing in semiconductor/ glass industry (continuous or batch ovens) is preferred.
- Knowledge of General Electronics
- Knowledge in General Mechanical Systems
- Demonstrated proficiency with applying Robust Engineering principles to develop and implementing processes
Education and Experience:
- Associates Degree in a technical discipline with 2 years experience as First Solar Manfuacturing Enigneer I or 3 years Engineering experience in a manufacturing setting, or 2 years Engineering experience and 6 years Technical experience in a manufacturing setting or
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline with 2 years experience as First Solar Manfuacturing Enigneer I or 3 years Engineering experience in a manufacturing setting or 2 years Engineering experience and 3 years Technical experience in a manufacturing setting or
- MS Degree in a technical discipline with 2-4 years Engineering experience in a manufacturing setting or
- PhD Degree in a technical discipline with 0-3 years Engineering experience in a manufacturing setting
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
- All associates working on the production floor may be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair)
Please note: potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.